Quirks of Fish without Swim bladders?

m.k.aqautics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!
Recently my tank went through a massive brooklynella outbreak ( as diagnosed by vetteguy and Jay with fish medic), and I’m sad to say that all but two of my fish are gone. The two fish remaining are my Flame hawkish and Cave Goby, neither of which have swim bladders. The very last fish to die was my Midas Blenny, also a fish without a swim bladder. I just found it interesting that the fish without swim bladders lasted the longest, and was wondering if anyone knew if there was any relationship between Brooklynella and swim bladders?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!
Recently my tank went through a massive brooklynella outbreak ( as diagnosed by vetteguy and Jay with fish medic), and I’m sad to say that all but two of my fish are gone. The two fish remaining are my Flame hawkish and Cave Goby, neither of which have swim bladders. The very last fish to die was my Midas Blenny, also a fish without a swim bladder. I just found it interesting that the fish without swim bladders lasted the longest, and was wondering if anyone knew if there was any relationship between Brooklynella and swim bladders?
Interesting correlation. I’ve seen a distinct difference in groups of fish regarding how susceptible they are to Brook, but I never thought of why that might be……

Clownfish are the poster child for this disease, but damselfish, in the same family rarely get it.

Jay

OP
OP
m.k.aqautics

m.k.aqautics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting correlation. I’ve seen a distinct difference in groups of fish regarding how susceptible they are to Brook, but I never thought of why that might be……

Clownfish are the poster child for this disease, but damselfish, in the same family rarely get it.

Jay
It was just something I noticed and I feel like any information on that could be helpful towards future treatment, if the disease attacks the swim bladder in fish very strongly.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 163 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%

Back