Quote comparison

Fiziksgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, Things are getting serious for a new build. Been out of the hobby for about 13 years, jumping back in with a big peninsula. Have a couple quotes to compare and looking for feedback. Planet Aquariums vs. CDA.

Asked for a quote on a 72x36x28 with eurobrace and low iron on 3 viewable sides, external overflow, and a few holes (return and some for a possible closed loop).

Planet aquariums quotes me 1/2" glass all around, 1" PVC bottom, perimeter bracing plus 2 cross braces, 15" tideline overflow.

CDA quoted me 3/4" glass all around, internal bottom perimeter brace, reinforced vertical seems, eurobrace, 24"modular marine overflow, for $1500 less, to my door, than Planet aquariums.

CDA also mentioned that if I dropped the height to 26", they could go with 1/2 glass and save an additional $1200.

Money is not the biggest driving factor, but when you start talking $1-2K difference, its hard to ignore. I did send questions back to Plant Aquariums, through my local dealer of course, if I reduced the height by a couple inches could i save an money. I don't think it would be significant because they already quoted me 1/2" glass.

Any reason not to choose CDA? If going with them, would you chose 3/4" glass for the full 28" in height, or "settle" for the 26" height with 1/2 glass???

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi All, Things are getting serious for a new build. Been out of the hobby for about 13 years, jumping back in with a big peninsula. Have a couple quotes to compare and looking for feedback. Planet Aquariums vs. CDA.

Asked for a quote on a 72x36x28 with eurobrace and low iron on 3 viewable sides, external overflow, and a few holes (return and some for a possible closed loop).

Planet aquariums quotes me 1/2" glass all around, 1" PVC bottom, perimeter bracing plus 2 cross braces, 15" tideline overflow.

CDA quoted me 3/4" glass all around, internal bottom perimeter brace, reinforced vertical seems, eurobrace, 24"modular marine overflow, for $1500 less, to my door, than Planet aquariums.

CDA also mentioned that if I dropped the height to 26", they could go with 1/2 glass and save an additional $1200.

Money is not the biggest driving factor, but when you start talking $1-2K difference, its hard to ignore. I did send questions back to Plant Aquariums, through my local dealer of course, if I reduced the height by a couple inches could i save an money. I don't think it would be significant because they already quoted me 1/2" glass.

Any reason not to choose CDA? If going with them, would you chose 3/4" glass for the full 28" in height, or "settle" for the 26" height with 1/2 glass???
CDA has the better pricing but sun also for quality as planet makes beautiful tanks

OP
OP
F

Fiziksgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured you all would jump on the tank height, but the last tank I had back int eh day was an in-wall All-Glass 210, 72x24x29 with access only from the back, and the height wasn't much of an issue for me. I figured with a peninsula, I'd have access from both sides, so it would be even easier.

I guess I see enough threads on here to see that CDA and Planet aquariums both make good tanks, so why not go with the cheaper one!

Big question for me now is closed loop. I do not want any power heads on the viewing sides. So although I will plan for some vortecs on the overflow end, I think I need something to push water at the far end.

Anyone had recommendation on hole locations for a nice closed loop on a tank this size??

Tdoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am planning a 6' build and was going o go with Planet, I wanted a tanke that was made in America and this seem to be the company to go with. I ran across this and was not aware of CDA. looking at their webpage defiantly has my interest. I will be following this to see the direction you go.
Thanks

OP
OP
F

Fiziksgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning a 6' build and was going o go with Planet, I wanted a tanke that was made in America and this seem to be the company to go with. I ran across this and was not aware of CDA. looking at their webpage defiantly has my interest. I will be following this to see the direction you go.
Thanks

I did place the order for the 72x36x26 from CDA. I'm not really sure what was driving the real price difference....though I suspect since Planet aquariums works through a local dealer, that dealer adds on their own fee, whereas you can order directly from CDA. I will also add that CDA was very responsive to my questions, whereas again, since I had to go through the local dealer, asking questions to Planet Aquariums was painful, and I never did get my last set of questions answered. Not sure who dropped the ball, the dealer or Planet Aquariums....

c4sxm5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you ever consider glasscages? I'm in the same scenario and was comparing CDA and planet aquarium but several people suggested I contact glass cages. So far glass cages is the best price.

If anyone is looking there is a new CDA tank listed on CL 90x24x24. If it was 2ft longer I'll be all over it.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I figured you all would jump on the tank height, but the last tank I had back int eh day was an in-wall All-Glass 210, 72x24x29 with access only from the back, and the height wasn't much of an issue for me. I figured with a peninsula, I'd have access from both sides, so it would be even easier.

I guess I see enough threads on here to see that CDA and Planet aquariums both make good tanks, so why not go with the cheaper one!

Big question for me now is closed loop. I do not want any power heads on the viewing sides. So although I will plan for some vortecs on the overflow end, I think I need something to push water at the far end.

Anyone had recommendation on hole locations for a nice closed loop on a tank this size??
Height is ok

Where there is a will there is a way. I have 36in high. Something about being deep fish are not skittish. Get it.

I am short of 6ft
Take my shirt of. Then I reach bottom with wet armpits.
Bit how often do I do that. Once a week.
There is long tube of python to clean. Long feeding tubes. Long grabber etc. Fish love it.
new tank is 120x36x36
20220228_122034.gif
20220228_122532.jpg
20220227_122423.gif

OP
OP
F

Fiziksgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever consider glasscages? I'm in the same scenario and was comparing CDA and planet aquarium but several people suggested I contact glass cages. So far glass cages is the best price.

If anyone is looking there is a new CDA tank listed on CL 90x24x24. If it was 2ft longer I'll be all over it.
I did not, and my choice was probably bias based on long ago performance of Glass Cages. Recent reviews have been much more positive than those of a decade or more ago.

I will add that when compared to the price from the online tank builder from Glass Cages, CDA was about the same price for my tank.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I did not, and my choice was probably bias based on long ago performance of Glass Cages. Recent reviews have been much more positive than those of a decade or more ago.

I will add that when compared to the price from the online tank builder from Glass Cages, CDA was about the same price for my tank.
Yes don't be mistaken
Joe raised the quality and set the bar higher
But it's not cheap anymore
It can't be. Good work costs money

Price quality and speed
Please pick two.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes don't be mistaken
Joe raised the quality and set the bar higher
But it's not cheap anymore
It can't be. Good work costs money

Price quality and speed
Please pick two.
thanks so much @ssdawood

I am really proud of the team. As a team, Glass Cages has gone through what I would consider an incredible rebirth. So much pride internally with their craft. Love the passion of the team.

Regarding price, we have we have tried to keep the base tank at a very competitive price. This has been tough with the market the way it is with supply and such. The options move the price for sure. and there are options that are just not available yet with other builders. And we have more options rolling out this year and next. Blazing trails on innovation.

We focused on options and glass and quality and customer service and company culture and on and on.

Thanks again, we are having a blast working with everyone. hearing their suggestions and then making them happen.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back