Silicone tear? Planet Aquarium

RemedyPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planet Aquarium purchased March 2023.
Did the tear have anything to do with the 18x7 inch slot in the cabinet?
It’s a Rimless All Glass Tank. Since it doesn’t have any perimeter bracing I’m curious if it’s good company practice to sell this as a combination. I’m waiting for their response. I appreciate any insight.
IMG_4149.jpeg

IMG_4151.jpeg IMG_4087.jpeg

klc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't look like anything to me. The longer area is just silicone that has loosened in the bevel on the bottom panel, it is external to the tank.

My new Aqua Japan had similar areas along the front that I could see when it was illuminated, I slid the tank forward on the stand and filled them with black silicone. Mine also has a void in the lower back corner, looks like an air bubble that was trapped when the silicone was added, a year later and it hasn't changed. Im not concerned with it.

Upvote 0

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a Rimless All Glass Tank. Since it doesn’t have any perimeter bracing I’m curious if it’s good company practice to sell this as a combination. I’m waiting for their response. I appreciate any insight.
IMG_4149.jpeg

Welcome!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RemedyPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't look like anything to me. The longer area is just silicone that has loosened in the bevel on the bottom panel, it is external to the tank.

My new Aqua Japan had similar areas along the front that I could see when it was illuminated, I slid the tank forward on the stand and filled them with black silicone. Mine also has a void in the lower back corner, looks like an air bubble that was trapped when the silicone was added, a year later and it hasn't changed. Im not concerned with it.
Hopefully yes, but since this tank is held together without any eurobrace or anything other than silicone, 100 plus gallons would be a lot to come to after a day at work or an upcoming vacation. It’s not even a year old.

Upvote 0

klc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottom seam will let go with or without a eurobrace. Tanks don’t typically let go at the top all of the pressure is at the bottom. Yes 100 gallons is a lot of water, the RS failures have everyone on pins and needles lol.

The corners are the strongest areas of the tank though and I wouldn’t think a seam failure would start there. The center of the front or back panel is where a seam would start to come apart. I think your tank is ok.

The hole on the top of the stand is ok.

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4149.jpeg

By "18x7 inch slot", are you referring to the opening in the top of the stand for the drain and return plumbing? If so, then no, this would not cause any issues.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RemedyPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottom seam will let go with or without a eurobrace. Tanks don’t typically let go at the top all of the pressure is at the bottom. Yes 100 gallons is a lot of water, the RS failures have everyone on pins and needles lol.

The corners are the strongest areas of the tank though and I wouldn’t think a seam failure would start there. The center of the front or back panel is where a seam would start to come apart. I think your tank is ok.

The hole on the top of the stand is ok.
The cabinet is theirs and I’ve never had a drilled Aq because of my own concerns of the unlikely chance of it going bad. If it was a dedicated fishroom and not a tv room I’d be sleeping better

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RemedyPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By "18x7 inch slot", are you referring to the opening in the top of the stand for the drain and return plumbing? If so, then no, this would not cause any issues.
Great. It seems there’s a lot of fuss made about glass bottom tanks being on mats and how delicate they are. I wish I spent more cash on Acrylic. It’s a lot of money to repurpose into a hamster cage!

Upvote 0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back