quoted $350 to checkout my floors!!

Cessna89811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading from Nano...

I am looking at a Red Sea Reefer 250 or 350 to put on 1st floor. I called around structural engineers and got quoted $350. $350 is for coming to my house to just check out my floors. Does anyone know a cheaper way? Like maybe $50...
I just want to make sure my floor could hold 900-1000 lbs.

Aquarium would be on 1st floor above unfinished basement.

Thanks so much.

RUNVS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 120 gallon reef systems on second floors of a house with no issues, just make sure you are going across your joists and you should be fine, I dont think you need to pay to have a structural engineer review it for a 50-75 gallon system. Just my opinion, Good Luck with the build!!!

Tucker64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya if you're across multiple joist you're fine. If you're worried about it still of you running it with the joist just look for a handy man and have him double up the existing joist and maybe box a few in. That's what I did and I've had no issues.
cc8d113b86672ecdd49b85439f5b42de.jpg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Upgrading from Nano...

I am looking at a Red Sea Reefer 250 or 350 to put on 1st floor. I called around structural engineers and got quoted $350. $350 is for coming to my house to just check out my floors. Does anyone know a cheaper way? Like maybe $50...

Thanks so much.
For a 73 gallon tank, I wouldn't hesitate to get it. And I would not bother paying someone. Call me reckless.
Unless your house has real structural issues ( uneven floors, cracked walls, etc.) it should be fine.
I guess if you really are worried, check what the building codes in your area and find out what the load rating per sq. ft. is.
I know people check the way the floor joists run and set their tanks up so they span multiple floor joists.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading from Nano...

Thanks so much.
I agree that an engineer shouldn't be required for a smaller tank like this. Just make sure you are putting it up against a structural wall.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s totally not necessary. Your home is designed the same way all the way through. You can put a couch, refrigerator, bunk beds, stackable washer and dryer anywhere. The beams holding your floor can handle magnitudes more than the stand that will hold the tank up.

Think of it this way, if you ever get a tank where the store bought stand if more substantial than the beams holding up your floor; ie the stand is designed to carry more weight than your floor beams. THEN you will need a structural engineer. So long as the stand is flimsier than your floor beams, you’re good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cessna89811

Cessna89811

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 120 gallon reef systems on second floors of a house with no issues, just make sure you are going across your joists and you should be fine, I dont think you need to pay to have a structural engineer review it for a 50-75 gallon system. Just my opinion, Good Luck with the build!!!
Thanks! I guess I am just thinking too much about it. The Reefer 250 is 65 gallons and the Reefer 350 is 91 gallons. Just to be safe maybe I just go with the 65 gallon tank.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks! I guess I am just thinking too much about it. The Reefer 250 is 65 gallons and the Reefer 350 is 91 gallons. Just to be safe maybe I just go with the 65 gallon tank.
Yeah, I said it was 73 gallons, but forgot the sump volume for a total of 91 gallons.
I'm going to say the same. 91 or 73 you should be good to go.
Don't let your worries about the difference in weight be your deciding factor in this.
Let your budget decide.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Agree with @mfinn, don't short yourself on a slightly larger system for something that is really a non-issue when looking at a system under 100 gallons, your floors will hold it no problem. As suggested above, try and get it on a wall where the joists underneath run perpendicular to your tank (load bearing wall) and save that $350 for more coral, or a better light, or a... well you get the picture:)

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a 220 running with the joists in my house. I got a single floor jack post at Home Depot for around $60 I think. Then cut a 2x6 to put across the joists about where the center of tank would be.
I don’t even think the jack post was necessary, but I rent the house and didn’t want a disaster.

If your going across multiple joists, you probably don’t need any kind of support. But for peace of mind, you might as well put one in.

It’s weird, you could have had someone come out and tell you “everything is fine, you could put a 500 gallon tank on here if you wanted to” and you would probably STILL go out and add a support.

But seriously, if you’re the kind of person that it’s gonna always be in the back of your mind just go out and get a support for it. I’ll throw up a pic of the post I put up later, if I remember.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just think about how much a large garden tub full of water with an adult in it weighs. My guess is easily over 1000 lbs. Until you start talking about a several hundred gallon tank then you have nothing to worry about.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just think about how much a large garden tub full of water with an adult in it weighs. My guess is easily over 1000 lbs. Until you start talking about a several hundred gallon tank then you have nothing to worry about.
I agree with the sentiment of your post but it is a dangerous line of thinking. A properly build home will have extra supports under where the bathtubs sit.

I do agree it isn't a problem with this size tank though.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I should start a business certifying floors for tanks, sounds like I could make a fortune;Greedy;Greedy;Greedy
Until you got sued the first time a floor caved in! :p

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the sentiment of your post but it is a dangerous line of thinking. A properly build home will have extra supports under where the bathtubs sit.

I do agree it isn't a problem with this size tank though.

I wish you could see the flimsy stand my 155 gallon tank is sitting on then. I haven't lost a single night of sleep over it.

20171028_210736.jpg

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that analogy doesn't work because the adult doesn't stay in the tub full of water for 5 years straight... there's a difference in live load vs dead load.

also there are different grades of "failure" in a structure, if your floor deflects by 1/4" over a decade that's still technically a failure... just not the cartoon tank plunging through a floor that we all envision...

OP: i went down this road myself, there is no definitive answer on the internet. I've got a 90 gallon + sump running across 3 joists. i was going to put a closet right about under the tank downstairs anyway so i just went ahead and put it in as a bearing wall for peace of mind. its probably not necessary but a little peace of mind never hurt anyone. put a jack or a wall under it if you're really worried, that's what the engineer is going to tell you to do if he doesn't think your floor will hold it anyway, if you're worried spend the $350 (or less) on supports and skip the engineer's fee. we all worry about a tank plunging through our floors, but if it actually happened wouldn't we hear about it from time to time?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back