Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of opposite tanks...

A couple of months ago I decided to clean up the sump and I removed a couple of rocks I had there.

One of them was in the dark and had some corals attached.

I placed the 2 rocks in a small tank and I only added the head of an old filter for water movement. No light, no heater, the tank is near a windows and that's the light it gets.

20200716_164722.jpg

I quite like this little tank because of its simplicity. I add ro water once per week and I made 2 water changes since I set it up.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Banggai gang is the main source of news in the tank.

The male released the babies and I think only 4 survived. I managed to get one from the anemones and 2 from the overflow and I put them in the refugium where 1 older brother lives. There's still 1 more in the overflow that I haven't caught yet.

The male is now free to interact with the rest of the gang and yesterday night I saw him chasing the larger of his sons for a few minutes (who's almost the same size as him and I suspect is also a male).

The female seems more used to the gang and sometimes she joins them for a while without aggression. From time to time she makes half-hearted attempts at chasing them.

Most of the day everything's peaceful, but I noticed some chasing within the group.

The older sibling seems already able to hold eggs. None of his sisters seems ready, it will take a few more months.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One month ago I got a red dragon acro. That's the only finicky coral I have.

I took a picture 12 days ago and today.

20200717_181920.png

It's growing.

I don't want any more finicky corals. It's really sad to grow a coral for a number of months/years and see it die because of a minor change.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago I thought my calcium reactor had reached its limits because I already had 135 bubbles of CO2 per minute.

I decided to improvise a 2nd chamber: I just put the tube of the effluent at the bottom of a jar filled with media.

Now I'm only using 27 bubbles per minute.

IMG_20200807_195424.jpg

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rare sighting of the 2 marine bettas out and about during daytime.

I still don't get the relationship between these 2. A few days ago I started to leave a camcorder recording before I go to bed so I can see what they are up to early in the morning.

The female (altivelis) is growing extremely fast while the male (argus) almost hasn't changed. This is worrying me.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at my tank and I noticed how my eyes were wandering through the tank. The paths in the sand and the way the corals "flow" over the rocks were guiding my eyes.

Flow.jpg

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it’s dying and would be interesting if it does split. Is the mouth gaping and tearing? Once you see a hole all the way through the mouth then you know for sure it’s splitting. I would especially keep the water quality up and run carbon if you don’t currently.

I think the clowns being active at night is because they have eggs to tend to.

Following and best of luck to you.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

The mouth has been looking weird and swollen for a few weeks but it's still closed.

I have carbon running, I change it every 2 weeks, but I am going to change it sooner and add a larger amount, thanks for the suggestion.

In the meantime, the male Banggai released the fry and I could only find 1 and I managed to catch it and move it to the refugium.

The male joined the rest of the group and there were a few females trying to seduce him. I know that in 24-48 hours he will feel strong enough to change the tank from an oasis of peace and love into a war zone.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back