RABBITFISH EMERGENCY

Julie kerley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please excuse the photos but my 1 spot rabbitfish has been ill for 4 days now and is camouflaged black and hiding. She has this white spot behind her normal black spot and is being bullied for being sick. I cannot catch her and fear stressing her more but if I know what it is and she can be helped, I will get my aquarium guys out here tomorrow to catch her and quarantine her. Thank you

20221028_170748.jpg 20221028_170753.jpg 20221028_170758.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Please excuse the photos but my 1 spot rabbitfish has been ill for 4 days now and is camouflaged black and hiding. She has this white spot behind her normal black spot and is being bullied for being sick. I cannot catch her and fear stressing her more but if I know what it is and she can be helped, I will get my aquarium guys out here tomorrow to catch her and quarantine her. Thank you

Assuming this tank is acrylic, it is very scratched up making it difficult to see.
With that, it could be less than im guessing but will suggest quaranting fish and treating with antibiotic for bacterial issue which would be Seachem Kanaplex for at least 5 days.
I usually dont second guess but with this many scratches and being able to see imperfection on body has to be significant in nature
Assure to maintain both water quality and oxygen with an airstone during treatment

OP
OP
J

Julie kerley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming this tank is acrylic, it is very scratched up making it difficult to see.
With that, it could be less than im guessing but will suggest quaranting fish and treating with antibiotic for bacterial issue which would be Seachem Kanaplex for at least 5 days.
I usually dont second guess but with this many scratches and being able to see imperfection on body has to be significant in nature
Assure to maintain both water quality and oxygen with an airstone during treatment

It is acrylic and yes many scratches. I just do not want to stress her more trying to catch her if she is going to die not knowing what is going on with her.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It is acrylic and yes many scratches. I just do not want to stress her more trying to catch her if she is going to die not knowing what is going on with her.
Do nothing and it will become infected. Not going to die oif you follow recommendation. Additionally , I see on a larger screen an abundance of algae suggesting you have high phosphate and possibly nitrate in addition to very bright lighting.
Are you using RODI water or tap water from faucet ?
What is your ammonia-ph-nitrate levels?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The fish does need to be moved if it is being picked on. The round yellowish spot can be a sign of being hit by a tang’s scalpel - are there any tangs in the tank?
Jay

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface normally hold their own . They have venomous spikes on the top and bottom of their body as defence .
What other fish are in the tank?
What fish is the aggressive bully
Has the foxface or new aggressive fish been recently added ?

OP
OP
J

Julie kerley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All levels are normal. No one has been able to identify why I have continued algae growth on glass. The algae ball in photo is actually chaeto that I put up in the corner for the rabbitfish to to help hide and camouflage. All fish have been together for over a year. The bully is a scribble rabbitfish and lipstick nasotang. The rabbit is eating and has enough energy that I cannot catch her. Is it possible the spot is a bite mark? When I do catch her and qt her what do I treat her with?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All levels are normal. No one has been able to identify why I have continued algae growth on glass. The algae ball in photo is actually chaeto that I put up in the corner for the rabbitfish to to help hide and camouflage. All fish have been together for over a year. The bully is a scribble rabbitfish and lipstick nasotang. The rabbit is eating and has enough energy that I cannot catch her. Is it possible the spot is a bite mark? When I do catch her and qt her what do I treat her with?
The mark can be a scalpel mark from
The naso .
generally for the most part different species of rabbit fish get along with some exceptions
Try adding a sheet of nori to a veggie clip
My foxface loves different types of veggies including spinach , broccoli. Cucumbers ,

the reason I mention food is all being grazing fish with other options could
Potentially occupy them

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 81 77.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back