Racoon Butterflyfish

Andrew D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know these aren't reef safe, but do you think one would be OK in my anemone tank, full of bubbletips, carpets and long tentacles? Oh, and lots of aiptasia which along with his cool looks is the reason I want to put him in there ;)

mborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my racoon butterfly in my reef for over 5 ½ years and it’s been a model citizen. Doesn’t touch any corals (SPS/LPS) or my BTA’s, but they host a tomato clown so that may be why. I originally got mine for Aiptasia control, but it didn’t touch them. The only invert it ever went after was a feather duster worm. Although, different fish have different personalities so I may have gotten lucky with it not harming my reef. As far as Aiptasia control, Berghia nudibranchs were very effective for me. It took a couple of months for them to grow and build up a breeding population, but after that they completely eradicated them from my tank.

av8soulfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think 'flies are best in a fowlr tank.
flies tank.jpeg

OP
OP
Andrew D

Andrew D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I like my nems too much to take a chance. I've added about 6 berghia's over the past 3 months but they haven't made a dent, at least not yet. I'm worried that the fish I have in there (5 clowns, remnant of a clutch of 14), a tomini and yellow tang) may have eaten them. I'll take a picture of my aiptasia carpet tonight when the lights come on.

OP
OP
Andrew D

Andrew D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures of my 100G nem tank, plumbed into an 800G mixed system. First a picture under daytime whites which shows the aiptasia carpet I'm trying to get rid of and then a few under blues which show the cool colours of the varying bubbletips...

thumbnail_IMG_1097.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1085.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1089.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add the butterfly to eat the aiptasia then catch him out before he moved onto anything else.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back