Radiant Wrasse Eye Bulge

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this fish in a short while ago, curious if an over pressurized bag would result in eye bulge? When I opened the bag it did have a lot of air in it, so much so when I cut the bag open it was like a ballon deflating! Sadly he came in like this, floated the bag and now acclimated salinity.

Please don’t ask where it’s from, I don’t feel that’s relevant right now.

I’ve already sent these images to the vendor.

F414ABD5-2B50-48F6-A450-0D18B3E9E9A1.jpeg A351C7EA-9F1C-458A-A586-283802275AF0.jpeg

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in this discussion.

Thats a bummer. I would guess that over pressurizing the bag could cause undo pressure/stress on the fish but not really sure. I guess they experience pressures under water too but is it the same?

Hopefully some folks with shipping experience or a greater knowledge with fish could chime in?
@Humblefish @harrysmarinelife @OrionN @HairyGary

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, not at all due to pressure - it's simply a result of the eye being scraped or irritated by something. It may have happened when it was caught/bagged up.

And also IME, it goes away on its own within a week.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
generally associated with injury or water quality. Eye socket is the weak point of a fish. Should deflate but in mean time to help it, you can do water change to assure good water quality and treat with Melafix which is reef safe.

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in this discussion.

Thats a bummer. I would guess that over pressurizing the bag could cause undo pressure/stress on the fish but not really sure. I guess they experience pressures under water too but is it the same?

Hopefully some folks with shipping experience or a greater knowledge with fish could chime in?
@Humblefish @harrysmarinelife @OrionN @HairyGary
Thanks @Scurvy

IME, not at all due to pressure - it's simply a result of the eye being scraped or irritated by something. It may have happened when it was caught/bagged up.

And also IME, it goes away on its own within a week.

Thanks for the input @evolved Both eyes looked pretty bad. Unfortunately after keeping him in observation yesterday he didn't make it.

generally associated with injury or water quality. Eye socket is the weak point of a fish. Should deflate but in mean time to help it, you can do water change to assure good water quality and treat with Melafix which is reef safe.

Thanks @vetteguy53081 I kept him in observation since both eyes looked pretty bad. Right out of the bag he never acted "right" was swimming and spinning around a lot. Also floating upside down, I hated to see that. He didn't make it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sorry for loss. Hopefully you took pics and can then address with place you purchased from for some type of credit.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back