Raidendex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to potentially do something silly like below with 4 XR-15s
1705430060116.png

Anyone have some clean solution of how to do this? Not really sure how valuable titling them around even would be versus just spreading them over the tank to give good coverage, but in case there is point in doing this :) I would need some sort of frame (probably could use those extruded aluminum beams) and some sort of articulating attachment that can easy slide onto the frame and move around a bit as well as attach in a clean way to the XR-15, so I could tilt around fairly easily.

This is btw on top of a 3'x3' tank 2' height, so if you have other lighting suggestions feel free to share as well for an SPS tank eventually... haven't even built the stand yet :)

OP
OP
Raidendex

Raidendex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you attach radions to that with ability to articulate them? so far I'm envisioning some sort of DSLR type mount granted those are not really set up to interface to either radions or t slots.

OP
OP
Raidendex

Raidendex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure yet if ceiling or wall, but either way not on tank itself.

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If mounting from the ceiling, might consider a single piece of 80/20 mounted vertically and centered above the tank. Then attach 4 short pieces of 80/20 which would hold the Radions. I’m thinking you might be able to find an attachment that would allow the short arms to be angled the way you want. Hope that’s clear.

OP
OP
Raidendex

Raidendex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thanks will look at those.

And to attach Radions to all that just drill holes in these or is there something better?

1705432194658.png

OP
OP
Raidendex

Raidendex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, thanks. I have a 3D printer, so I suppose will make one myself then :)

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why would you want to mount them in such a fashion? There will be unintended hot spots and light spillage, IMO.

OP
OP
Raidendex

Raidendex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, was part of the question if this would even be that useful.

Don't imagine it would make any hot spots, these lights should be fairly spread out, but not sure if it would light undersides any better with 10 degree tilt either, so I may just mount them all level in the end.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
XR15's are pretty light so I used 1/2" x 1/2" steel tube to connect 2 together and a ceiling hanging kit. I used the Sky ceiling hanging kit. It's cheaper and the black color matches the Radion fixture.
If I were looking for a way to hang 4 fixtures, I would go with as small a material as possible.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure, was part of the question if this would even be that useful.

Don't imagine it would make any hot spots, these lights should be fairly spread out, but not sure if it would light undersides any better with 10 degree tilt either, so I may just mount them all level in the end.

If you can suspend from the ceiling, you could make an aluminum frame and space them however you like. 3x3 is an interesting size.

Here's a BRS video (one of many), where Randy looks at spacing and mounting height of the XR15.

OP
OP
Raidendex

Raidendex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
XR15's are pretty light so I used 1/2" x 1/2" steel tube to connect 2 together and a ceiling hanging kit. I used the Sky ceiling hanging kit. It's cheaper and the black color matches the Radion fixture.
If I were looking for a way to hang 4 fixtures, I would go with as small a material as possible.
Yeah I definitely want to make something fairly slim otherwise I might as well make a hood and cover the top of the tank completely hehe

OP
OP
Raidendex

Raidendex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that looks nice and clean.

Only thing I would change is route cables to single point on frame and run them as one down.... or an outlet in the ceiling and run them up for even cleaner look hehe... hmmm am I installing outlet on my ceiling now :D

OP
OP
Raidendex

Raidendex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope.. easier idea, now that I thought about it for another 10 seconds lol.. some low profile power strip on the ceiling (unless XR-15 have a super long cord...), plug Radions there and then run cord from it to the wall and down the wall in those cord hiders and paint them wall colors. And maybe a small box to cover the power strip on the ceiling.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back