Radion G5 Intensity - Help!

JamOn86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 16 gallon Biocube with a Radion XR15 G5 light. I use the RMS mount. I've got a mixed reef, with about 15-20% SPS (no acros) and the remainder being LPS and Softies. I use the Coralife LPS template. I acclimated my lighting schedule, with my schedule intensity now set to 40%. Have not gotten a part meter yet, but plan to sometime in the near future.

Is this schedule intensity of 40% ok? I'm seeing some slow growth in my frags, especially my encrusters. Some of my LPS appear to be fading colors a bit, as well as my red Serosa.

Is 40% good? Too high? Too low? Thoughts?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On such a small tank you might need even a lower setting for that light. You need a par meter to get this light set properly. If you have marine club in your area they should be able to help you. I help my club members with setting up their lights every week.

OP
OP
JamOn86

JamOn86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On such a small tank you might need even a lower setting for that light. You need a par meter to get this light set properly. If you have marine club in your area they should be able to help you. I help my club members with setting up their lights every week.
Thanks. All the polyps are opening on my corals, with the exception of my duncans. Everyone else seems happy in there. Just seeing a small amount of color fade on some of my little cnidarian buddies like I said.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start at 30%

I've had 4 G5 XR15's and am currently running 5 G5 XR30's over my tank, they pump out a ton of light. I always started at 30% and ramped from there. I also have a 510 to test par though so it takes the guess work out.

OP
OP
JamOn86

JamOn86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start at 30%

I've had 4 G5 XR15's and am currently running 5 G5 XR30's over my tank, they pump out a ton of light. I always started at 30% and ramped from there. I also have a 510 to test par though so it takes the guess work out.
Thanks. I actually started at 20% and ramped to 40% over a 3 month acclimation. I'm at 40% now. Just wondering if maybe I should go back down to 30 or 35.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I actually started at 20% and ramped to 40% over a 3 month acclimation. I'm at 40% now. Just wondering if maybe I should go back down to 30 or 35.

If they are starting to lighten up back it down a bit for sure, even if a couple % to start

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because the corals “might” look good doesn’t mean they are. Our eyes can not tell us anything as to what the corals are getting as far as light n many cases. Better to keep the intensity on the lower side till you can test what your light is doing in such a small tank.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget about picking an intensity number, clear it from your mind. There is no end number to get to.

Now take a look at your corals. Are they really expanded and puffed up or are the slightly retracted and staying close to the skeleton? This is your first clue to light intensity requirements. If they're slightly retracted, you're likely providing too much intensity. If they look "normal," intensity is probably adequate. If they're "reaching" for the light, the intensity is probably too low.

If you don't know what this looks like yet, cut the intensity to 20% an observe what happens over the course of a couple weeks. The corals will be fine and can tolerate lower intensity for quite some time where as too much can kill in days. DONT MESS WITH THE LIGHT DURING THIS PERIOD! Set it and leave it alone.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back