Radion G6 optics on G5?

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think that the G6 optical plate would give the G5 the better spread? I’m kinda not into spending $200 bucks on an upgrade when you can get a light bar for that but I would appreciate a bit more spread from my XR15 G5.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did the G6 come with more leds in different positions?
I answered this question: "Do you think that the G6 optical plate would give the G5 the better spread?"

I said 'No'. Thats it. (In my opinion)

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I answered this question: "Do you think that the G6 optical plate would give the G5 the better spread?"

I said 'No'. Thats it. (In my opinion)
Wow because that response was super helpful and polite. You could have not responded and contributed exactly what you did here.

OP
OP
Maximitsurugi

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I said 'No'. Thats it. (In my opinion
Wow because that response was super helpful and polite. You could have not responded and contributed exactly what you did here.
I thought the same but was wondering if I was taking his response. Personally. Didn’t feel the response was very R2R-like but there’s all types right? Thanks @Manny'sReef

The reason I asked was because i was reading that the new lens faceplate had an improved spread.

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you do a little research yes they will give a better spread. Also same amount of leds pretty sure just some diodes are differnt from what I understand. Look up reefbuilder on YouTube he did g6 review.

OP
OP
Maximitsurugi

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do a little research yes they will give a better spread. Also same amount of leds pretty sure just some diodes are differnt from what I understand. Look up reefbuilder on YouTube he did g6 review.
Yeah that’s what I was thinking so I was wondering if anyone had previously tried the swap. I can’t afford the upgrade right now and honestly I doubt I’d spend on that but I’d definitely spend more on the Optic plate if Ecotech would sell it. Kinda like buying a diffuser

MelancholyBlenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if just the plate would give you better spread but you could just play with the height of your lights to get more spread, this does depend on how your lights are mounted and what intensity you are currently running the lights at and your par goal.

OP
OP
Maximitsurugi

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if just the plate would give you better spread but you could just play with the height of your lights to get more spread, this does depend on how your lights are mounted and what intensity you are currently running the lights at and your par goal.
The Radion mount isn’t very accommodating beyond 8 or 9 inches but I get you.

MelancholyBlenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Radion mount isn’t very accommodating beyond 8 or 9 inches but I get you.
Yeah that's why I mentioned how they were mounted, I am using the Radion arms on 2 xr15 g5's as well and you are basically stuck at that height. unfortunately the par is a lot to be desired on these lights as well. I may have to add a 3rd to a 35.5 long tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry I answered the question: "Do you think that the G6 optical plate would give the G5 the better spread?" I said 'No'. That was my opinion. LOL. Most of the time people say my answer was too long. From what I've read, seen - I would not buy a G6 over a G5 because of 'spread'. As to the number of LED's - which was the second question - I didn't count them. I merely tried to answer the OP's question. I gave my opinion. If other people feel differently - all good. No debate here.

Last edited by a moderator:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you think that the G6 optical plate would give the G5 the better spread? I’m kinda not into spending $200 bucks on an upgrade when you can get a light bar for that but I would appreciate a bit more spread from my XR15 G5.
Since you wanted a longer answer - and my guess is that few people would know the answer to your question - and Since - I am not sure you can use the G6 optical plate on the G5 - Though - I have read about people trying it. I would strongly suggest you contact Echotech support - who could give a more intelligent complete (though potentially biased answer)... It also depends on the size of your tank whether there would be a difference. I'm not a big fan of XR15's - of any type - I chose the 30's - except for freshwater. As others have said - to get the amount of light you (possibly - don't know the size of tank) want you will likely need more XR15's than 30's - and I do not believe that the G6 plate will help this issue. Again its just my opinion... Best of luck with your light.

OP
OP
Maximitsurugi

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's why I mentioned how they were mounted, I am using the Radion arms on 2 xr15 g5's as well and you are basically stuck at that height. unfortunately the par is a lot to be desired on these lights as well. I may have to add a 3rd to a 35.5 long tank
I find that the par numbers claimed by BRS are over hyped by a lot. I used my seneye and honestly, unless I close to max it, the par numbers are rather low imho.

MelancholyBlenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that the par numbers claimed by BRS are over hyped by a lot. I used my seneye and honestly, unless I close to max it, the par numbers are rather low imho.
Exactly, I finally started to use a par meter Apogee 510 and was surprised how low it was. I had them at 60% intensity and now have them in acclimation mode getting them up to 90% to get around the par I want but will still probably have to add a 3rd light or a t5 hybrid down the road.

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 5 xr15s on my tank. They are at 75%, no complains other then mobios app. Also I honestly don't think upgrade worth it from g5 to g6

OP
OP
Maximitsurugi

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Xr15 I have currently has a corrupted serial number for some reason and only takes changes when I reset it. I’d send it back to eco tech but I don’t live in North America. I guess the set and forget thing was forced on me

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back