Radion question

tabby1222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a two year break, looking to get back into having a tank. Looking at a jbj 45RL. I want to do radions, after much back and forth between that or kessil. Will a radion 15w be enough for a tank with dimensions of 26.5x21x19?

I want to be able to put anything in there and not worry. I also don't want to have to upgrade in a year if the light isn't strong enough. I know that most people with the xr30's don't even run them at 100%.

Thanks for any and all input!!!

Motorcitycorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Currently we are running all Gen 3 Radions on our new tanks XR30 is the way to go. i am seeing great color. Cant say enough great things about the lights for sps they are awesome.
Joel

OP
OP
T

tabby1222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was afraid of, maxing it out. I hate to drop extra money, but nothing is cheap in this hobby..... ;).

On my old 150 I had cheap Chinese LEDs and hated them! I was so disappointed, so figure just go all in!!!

Motorcitycorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always say you get what you pay for. Think of it as a long term investment made only once. Working with nice equipment will make you happy and create a happy reef.

OP
OP
T

tabby1222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true!!! Do I need to buy a controller for this light, or is it accessible from a website? Also, has anyone tried the mounting system for the Radions??

Thanks again!!

Jc_ellis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The radions are controlled from a website. You access the lights by either hooking them up to a PC with a USB cable or by buying their Reeflink which connects the light to WiFi. There are third party controller options, like Apex, I believe, but I've never used them.

Maximo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a xr15 pro and 2 g3 xr30 pros! The xr15 claims to cover a 2x2 area just like the xr30's but it will need to be completely maxed out and even the. You will experience more shading around the edges! I would go with the xr30 and dial it down! The 2 pucks offer a better spread than the xr15 and will leave you room to increase intensity as corals grow and fill in or to upgrade to a bigger tank in the future!

Maximo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just please go slow with them and use acclimation mode for 6-8 weeks minimum! Too many people ramp up way to quick and condemn LEDs for being poor when they just don't understand them!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back