Radion RMS mounting issues

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

cjohnson2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased 2 radion XR30 g4's and also got the RMS single mount for each.

I love the lights but am having a problem with the RMS mounts "drooping". I can't tighten them any more on the tank rim to level the lights. Is there anything else I can do with them?
20180227_204038.jpg
20180227_204232.jpg

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same issue on my RS 525. I'm going to call EcoTech later today and see what they say. I was wondering if rimmed tanks had the same issue.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of this in the past. I've had no issues with the mounts on rimless tanks.

OP
OP
cjohnson2

cjohnson2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the spacer. I have to, mount won't work if I don't

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to try the RMS rail between the two mounts on each end of the tank. This most likely will evenly distribute the weight and even both of the mounts out. It seems the problem with rimmed tanks is the material used (plastic) it's just silicone between the plastic and the glass. So under any weight or pressure it starts to flex.

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Sea does the same thing and it's rimless. I tried holding it upright as I tightened the mounts and as soon as I let go they sag. It's like the heavy metal arm is too heavy for the plastic mount to support.

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent an e-mail to EcoTech. They're pretty good about responding within 24 hours, usually a lot less. I'll post what they say.

HmoneyReefOkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, i was hoping you were having the same issue i have and found a solution... several of my radions seem to be too heavy for the clip portion and separate from the mount... and yes that means the lights fall.... and the sliding mount stays on the rail

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EcoTech wants me to send pics. I'll do it tonight. Apparently they want to see my set up since I was the one asking them. I sent a link to the pics but maybe their internet protocols don't allow them to open links from unknown sources.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I don't have that problem using the RMS rail system ( other issues there), but I would think that maybe a wedge shaped piece of plastic or wood might bring the light back up to level.

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have that problem using the RMS rail system ( other issues there), but I would think that maybe a wedge shaped piece of plastic or wood might bring the light back up to level.
How do you like the rail system? I'm assuming you mean the end to end one. And I thought about wedging something in there but wanted to see if EcoTech had a better solution first. Maybe I'm doing something wrong they can point out.

OP
OP
cjohnson2

cjohnson2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have considered this, my only thought was putting stress on the glass tank, from the wedge not being perfect and pinching it between a edge and a flat clamp piece is probably a bad idea. It would put a lot of stress in one spot as apposed to across the whole piece

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
How do you like the rail system? I'm assuming you mean the end to end one. And I thought about wedging something in there but wanted to see if EcoTech had a better solution first. Maybe I'm doing something wrong they can point out.
I liked the rail system, but it has it's own flaws.
Over the 6' length of my tank it sags, so it needs its own mod to correct it.
I took most of the sag out with a 60" long piece of 3/4" angle iron.
I think I may got one more attempt to make it perfectly straight by using a 60" piece of 3/4" x 3/4" steel tube.
Painting it black and the 3/4" profile makes it blend in pretty well.

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked the rail system, but it has it's own flaws.
Over the 6' length of my tank it sags, so it needs its own mod to correct it.
I took most of the sag out with a 60" long piece of 3/4" angle iron.
I think I may got one more attempt to make it perfectly straight by using a 60" piece of 3/4" x 3/4" steel tube.
Painting it black and the 3/4" profile makes it blend in pretty well.
Mines 5 feet long but I'm thinking it would still sag in the middle like yours. Plus, where mine is located in the house you walk up to the side of the tank first most of the time and the rear mounts aren't so "big" from the side view. From the front I think the rail would look pretty good though. I'm a little anal and the sag of the mounts I have drives me nuts. The rail sagging would be the same.

Hitmans reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if anyone has thought about this but I used a piece of 1/8” acrylic as a shim I put it under the clamping side and the sag is almost all gone. If I had some 3/16” it probably would have straightened it out all of the way .

OP
OP
cjohnson2

cjohnson2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if anyone has thought about this but I used a piece of 1/8” acrylic as a shim I put it under the clamping side and the sag is almost all gone. If I had some 3/16” it probably would have straightened it out all of the way .

For a $99 mount, I expect it to come either with a wedge to fix this aparent issue or a revised piece that works better

Heibel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally in the same boat as you guys go with the mounting system. I was so concerned I did not mount the lights for a month until a friend came over to check them out and said he is very positive that they will not fall into the tank. Still sketches me out, would love to hear what they say.

lights sag.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back