Radion RMS mounting issues

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

deleau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just replaced 4 Gen3 Pros with 3 Gen5 blues on a 72" RMS rail; I've had that rail for many years, so there is a big of sag. I would gladly pay more than $21 for a mount (I paid $800+ for the light afterall) that had some tilt to it, so we could compensate for any sagging of the RMS kit that way.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I just replaced 4 Gen3 Pros with 3 Gen5 blues on a 72" RMS rail; I've had that rail for many years, so there is a big of sag. I would gladly pay more than $21 for a mount (I paid $800+ for the light afterall) that had some tilt to it, so we could compensate for any sagging of the RMS kit that way.
I hated that sag too on my 70" RMS rail.
I ended up taking it down and attaching a 3/4" x 3/4" piece of angle iron down the middle of it ( on top) and using 8 small bolts and nuts. That cured about 95% of the sag. If I had used a 1" x 1" piece it probably would have been perfect.

deleau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly the new mounting kits for the G5s won't allow for that...

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So does usijg thick acrylic on both wet and dry side help?

Thanks

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used plastic shims I found at Home Depot. Because of the way it leans you end up having to do it on the wet side. I tried both sides, placing the shims in opposite direction and it was too shaky and didn't want to settle in place. Your results may vary of course. :)

puppyclaude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a rubber piece right in between where the bracket slide onto the mount to level it.

750FDDD5-A2DB-463B-BDFA-7E745BA7D817.jpeg

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running the RMS on a 24" tank - my fixture is not tilted. Wonder how I am supposed to get the tilt that the engineering team designed the fixture for...

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm running the RMS on a 24" tank - my fixture is not tilted. Wonder how I am supposed to get the tilt that the engineering team designed the fixture for...
Seeing some of the pictures showing the tilt, if I were you, I would be happy mine didn't look that way.
Every picture of the Radions ( including mine) I've seen that don't use that RMS bracket show Radions perfectly level.

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a bunch of disgusting liars they have at EcoTech...

Here is the video at Interzoo 2014 with Patrick, co--founder of EcoTech, introducing their RMS.

He clearly states at 1:00 that the Radion mount was designed to sit "perpendicular to the tank" and not at an angle as EcoTech is now stating today.

They obviously had some quality control issues with this mount and are now lying to consumers and telling them that they were designed to sit at an angle - when Patrick clearly states otherwise.

How pathetic!

lisarafala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried some shims and just didnt like how they pinched against the tank. Call me crazy but I don't want thousands of dollars all over the floor from the tank cracking
Seriously I have the same problem I’m afraid to attach it to my tank because the stress is going to put on the glass for me tightening it

Mkeller088

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same response I just got. I went on BRS and looked at their in depth review of the Radions and they show the RMS mount tilted too and don't say anything about it being wrong. The light doesn't shine straight down into the tank which one would think causes more shadows. Besides the fact that it looks goofy. Personally, I'll be making a wedge out of acrylic or something like that.
They will bend.
47AC2CD5-B182-4B8F-869F-07B96ECE4277.jpeg

Gator_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a rubber piece right in between where the bracket slide onto the mount to level it.

750FDDD5-A2DB-463B-BDFA-7E745BA7D817.jpeg
Mind sharing a few more specifics of what you found worked and how you placed it in the bracket slide?

Just would really like to do the same as messing with a shim where it mounts onto the tank glass is something Id like fo avoid.

s_spowart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the rms system for years with gen 3 radions on it.
I have 3 gen 3 radions mounted on the rail, so the two brackets are mounted on each end of the tank, with a rail running along the full length of the tank, and 3 hangers which can be moved along the rail to where they are needed.
My old tank had ríms and I ended up using a threaded bar and nuts to bolt it on as the bolts supplied werent long enough, the new tank has a wooden plinth on top, so I just attach the lights to that instead.
This has worked quite well for me.

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you believe this issue is still not fixed. Really disappointed in this company sticking with this mount. $200 for two mounts I can't return. Besides the lean looking bad and shining more light to the back of the tank, the clamp does not tighten up evenly which places a lot more stress on the top edge of the tank. The lights are cheap shiny plastic and have loud fans for a living space. Too heavy and bulky and ugly with bad clamp.

Back