Radion XR 30 vs. Neptune Sky LED vs. ReefLED 160s vs. Other

tjsutton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I upgraded from a 60g tank to a 160g Red Sea reefer tank (about 72" x 24" x24"). I ran 3 AI Primes all along but they're not cutting it for the new tank. I'm reading up on/watching YouTube videos on Radions XR 30s, Neptune Sky, ReefLEDs and others trying to determine what's ideal, but can't decide. I know it gets to a point where they're mostly comparable and come down to certain preferences (e.g. the Neptune's lack of shimmer, etc). For people with the 6+ foot long tanks, I'd love some feedback, perhaps anybody who's experiments or two or more of the brands in this tier. Appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoarding old kessils.
I have bought multiple 350s for under 70 bucks.
To be honest, if you have a hood and can put them 2 foot above the tank I would just run vipar spectras.
My wife won't let me do that though.
"It looks like you're growing weed in the living room" she thinks they look like grow lights, which they kind of do.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve run or tested almost every major brand of LED. I currently run 5 AI Blades over my 250g peninsula tank. They’ve been great. Plan is to switch to Radions though in the near future

I’d go XR30s all day

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here are a few comparisons that I had put together with data.

It really depends on your personal preference and tank goals.

The SKY creates a really flat look. Either you like that or not. Shadow reduction is excellent due to the panel size. The spectrum is a bit bluer at 100%. If you use APEX, the control is really well integrated.

Reefi is a par monster. You can adjust the coverage by changing the height and reflector. The color at 100% is a bit more pink/ violet and there is some color separation in the tank due to the reflector positioning. At normal heights (<12") there is a bit of a hotspot in the middle.

XR30s give a nice balance of coverage and par. The pro light is a crisp white at 100% while the blue G6 has an actinic blue look (the G5 blue is close to T5 which has a blue-green look to it). XR15s give better shadow reduction than the XR30 with a slight loss in par (if comparing 2 XR15 to 1 XR30). If you use other Ecotech products, having it all in Mobius is nice.

I have not used ReefLEDs, but my concern would be shadowing. The big benefit would be if you have the whole Red Sea product line, its all in one app.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I upgraded from a 60g tank to a 160g Red Sea reefer tank (about 72" x 24" x24"). I ran 3 AI Primes all along but they're not cutting it for the new tank. I'm reading up on/watching YouTube videos on Radions XR 30s, Neptune Sky, ReefLEDs and others trying to determine what's ideal, but can't decide. I know it gets to a point where they're mostly comparable and come down to certain preferences (e.g. the Neptune's lack of shimmer, etc). For people with the 6+ foot long tanks, I'd love some feedback, perhaps anybody who's experiments or two or more of the brands in this tier. Appreciate the feedback. Thanks!
Why not just add on a few strips? The newer Blades seem good and they have mounting options that combine with your existing lights.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back