Radion XR15 G5 Power Adaptor Issue.

baobaokai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

Just got a brand-new Radion XR15 G5 Pro from a private seller, which makes the light "used" (did not do enough research that Ecotech will not carry a warranty to the second-hand buyer, even the product is not registered yet). The light was fine when I tested it, and I only light it up 3 times, less than 1 hour in total, because my tank is still in cycling. However, when I tried to light it up this Monday, it won't work... When I plug in the power supply, the button on the light flashes red once and goes black completely. I tried to use another xr15 light to locate the problem, and it seems the power brick is dead. The light is made in March 2020. The OEM power supply asks for 85$, which is robbery IMO. I tried to order a 32V 2A power supply, but the DC plug is not fit for the light... I am so frustrated now, as I spent only 50$ less than the sticker price without the warranty, and now I have to spend $85 more for the power supply.

I saw it is not uncommon that xr15 power supply fails, but not much about the G5. So, I am trying to ask for some thoughts if I should contact Ecotech customer service(which I heard lots of bad experiences from others) to send me a replacement power supply, or anyone had the same issue and found a third party power supply that works for Gen5. Really appreciate for any input.

BTW, the spec for XR15 gen 5 power supply is:
Input:100~240V ~ 50/60Hz 1.6A
Output: 32.0V 1.875A 60.0W
Center positive
DC plug is 5.5mm 3.5mm(the one I purchased is 2.5mm)

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't go wrong with a meanwell LED PSU of similar specs. Although, they are not particularly cheap either.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

Just got a brand-new Radion XR15 G5 Pro from a private seller, which makes the light "used" (did not do enough research that Ecotech will not carry a warranty to the second-hand buyer, even the product is not registered yet). The light was fine when I tested it, and I only light it up 3 times, less than 1 hour in total, because my tank is still in cycling. However, when I tried to light it up this Monday, it won't work... When I plug in the power supply, the button on the light flashes red once and goes black completely. I tried to use another xr15 light to locate the problem, and it seems the power brick is dead. The light is made in March 2020. The OEM power supply asks for 85$, which is robbery IMO. I tried to order a 32V 2A power supply, but the DC plug is not fit for the light... I am so frustrated now, as I spent only 50$ less than the sticker price without the warranty, and now I have to spend $85 more for the power supply.

I saw it is not uncommon that xr15 power supply fails, but not much about the G5. So, I am trying to ask for some thoughts if I should contact Ecotech customer service(which I heard lots of bad experiences from others) to send me a replacement power supply, or anyone had the same issue and found a third party power supply that works for Gen5. Really appreciate for any input.

BTW, the spec for XR15 gen 5 power supply is:
Input:100~240V ~ 50/60Hz 1.6A
Output: 32.0V 1.875A 60.0W
Center positive
DC plug is 5.5mm 3.5mm(the one I purchased is 2.5mm)
I'd first try the manuf.. Then I'd just get and adj voltage wire frame Meanwell for $16.09
Adj down to 32.4V (min adj).

.4V shouldn't matter but @_AV is a better source on that one.

LRS100-36

Cut your cable at the power supply (plug whatever). The old one "should" have the polarity pattern on it..

You can probably find a cheap 32V Chinese "brick" somewhere. If I remember correctly they are fairly laptop/printer power supplies.

Open frame is just slightly easier for me..

If necessary replace both ends w/ a more "standard" plug.
5.5/3.5 is weird

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

baobaokai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't go wrong with a meanwell LED PSU of similar specs. Although, they are not particularly cheap either.
Thank you. I will see if a 2.5mm to 3mm connector works. Otherwise, OEM is probably my best choice.

OP
OP
B

baobaokai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd first try the manuf.. Then I'd just get and adj voltage wire frame Meanwell for $16.09
Adj down to 32.4V (min adj).

.4V shouldn't matter but @_AV is a better source on that one.

LRS100-36

Cut your cable at the power supply (plug whatever). The old one "should" have the polarity pattern on it..

You can probably find a cheap 32V Chinese "brick" somewhere. If I remember correctly they are fairly laptop/printer power supplies.

Open frame is just slightly easier for me..

If necessary replace both ends w/ a more "standard" plug.
5.5/3.5 is weird
Thank you very much! This printer power supply is the exact one I purchased, but the connector is a different size from radion lights. I will see if the 2.5mm to 3mm adaptor works.

OP
OP
B

baobaokai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, I think the output plug is 5.5/3 mm instead of 3.5. Don't want to confuse other folks if they have the same issue.

FactoryKTMmotocross46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Both of my xr15 blues are 24v 90w power supplies. I bought a used one also that came with the wrong power supply 36v and wouldn't work until I bought a generic one.

The power supply probably burned up from drawing a lot more than 60w through it. The xr15 is a 100w light.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Both of my xr15 blues are 24v 90w power supplies. I bought a used one also that came with the wrong power supply 36v and wouldn't work until I bought a generic one.

The power supply probably burned up from drawing a lot more than 60w through it. The xr15 is a 100w light.
xr15 pro was 24V. Gen 5 looks to be 32V.
Would make sense if diodes were added to each channel or V(f)'s changed.. like 3W vs 5w diodes.

It is "possible" the gen5 could run on 24V but output would be reduced.
Not saying you can, just to be clear.

Why companies purposely hide their ps ratings is beyond me. Well I sort of know and they shouldn't

bbk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates, Ecotech sent me a new power supply without charges, as they think it is still under warranty. The new one is 24V though.

FactoryKTMmotocross46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
xr15 pro was 24V. Gen 5 looks to be 32V.
Would make sense if diodes were added to each channel or V(f)'s changed.. like 3W vs 5w diodes.

It is "possible" the gen5 could run on 24V but output would be reduced.
Not saying you can, just to be clear.

Why companies purposely hide their ps ratings is beyond me. Well I sort of know and they shouldn't
Yeah, my G5 blues were sent from ecotech with 24v 90w power supplies. It wouldn't even turn on when hooked up to the wrong 36v power supply. It says on the power supply what it's specs are but yeah, they don't say anywhere under the ecotech light specs.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my G5 blues were sent from ecotech with 24v 90w power supplies. It wouldn't even turn on when hooked up to the wrong 36v power supply. It says on the power supply what it's specs are but yeah, they don't say anywhere under the ecotech light specs.
Any chance the 36v was dead?

NOW THIS is just a thought exercise in general and not RECOMMENDING going out of spec but most of the circuitry converts the voltage anyways.
Logic circuits use 3.3 or 5 V
Fans use 12V (normally)
and drivers output a range i.e 6-36V @ 550mA.

Bunch of voltage converter chips on board.

Now those chips may or may not be able to handle dropping, say 36V to 5V and not overheat ect.

SOO a GOOD THING a unit wouldn't power on w/ the incorrect input voltage.
I'm surprised though..

FactoryKTMmotocross46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance the 36v was dead?

NOW THIS is just a thought exercise in general and not RECOMMENDING going out of spec but most of the circuitry converts the voltage anyways.
Logic circuits use 3.3 or 5 V
Fans use 12V (normally)
and drivers output a range i.e 6-36V @ 550mA.

Bunch of voltage converter chips on board.

Now those chips may or may not be able to handle dropping, say 36V to 5V and not overheat ect.

SOO a GOOD THING a unit wouldn't power on w/ the incorrect input voltage.
I'm surprised though..
No, it had 36v output, checked with my meter. I ordered a generic 24v 90w for $20 but the adapter was wrong so I just cut it and spliced on the one that fit. I'm definately not going to pay $100, that's crazy.

Eliyas143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16508759224097532845540712701270.jpg
purchased this adapter still not working. What should Volt i buy?

FactoryKTMmotocross46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16508759224097532845540712701270.jpg
purchased this adapter still not working. What should Volt i buy?
That should be the correct voltage and wattage. It may be the adapter or the light. If you have a multimeter you can check the output and see if the light is getting the 24v inside. When I bought my generic power adaptor, I had to swap the adaptors for it to work.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back