Radion XR15 Questions

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For regular 40 gallon breeder (I want mostly LPS), how many XR15's would I need? Length of tank is 36 inches and depth is 16 inches. Thanks!

OP
OP
ACW33

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, would the diffuser be necessary? Recommended height for mounting?
For regular 40 gallon breeder (I want mostly LPS), how many XR15's would I need? Length of tank is 36 inches and depth is 16 inches. Thanks!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd need 2.. I have 3 on a 48 inch tank.

I don't use the diffuser; don't like the look and the Gen. 6 don't really need it in my opinion.

As for the mounting height, mine are 10" off the water.

.... does it have to be Radions? :)

OP
OP
ACW33

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd need 2.. I have 3 on a 48 inch tank.

I don't use the diffuser; don't like the look and the Gen. 6 don't really need it in my opinion.

As for the mounting height, mine are 10" off the water.

.... does it have to be Radions? :)
No, sir, it doesn’t have to be. I’m open to advice and/or suggestions. I’m reading up on Noopsyche as well. I’m only about 10 months into my first reef tank (taking these very slowly). Sometimes it seems like the more I read and research the less knowledgeable I become. There’s so much! Lol

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think two would be good. I have diffusers but I run gen 4 xr15. Since your open to alternatives I would recomend researching a bit. A daunting task when it comes to lighting.
I have 3 gen4 xr15 that I've been running for years. Good lights but IMO there are better alternatives.
I have been running 6 Noopsyche over my 6ft 180g for about 10 months and couldn't be happier with the results. 2 would be good over a 40g breeder. The app isn't the greatest but for a sub $200 light I can't complain. There are some concerns with the power supply being shipped with the Noopsyche K7 lights recently so I would suggest looking through that thread first if you consider them. My 180 is a mixed reef I have in my aquarium showcase if you want to see the livestock.
I also have 2 reefbreeders photons over 2 other tanks. I'm very happy with those as well. I also like the app better than Mobius. The nice thing about the photons is they are panel vs Puck style so they don't have all the light spill that I get with the Noopsyche. The Noopsyche are in a canopy so it's not an issue. No canopy and I would need shades.
JMO but a photon 36 would be perfect over a 40g breeder and would grow pretty much anything you want. Also the lights ship with tank mounts and hanging mounts so that saves a little money.
Good luck deciding, I'm sure you'll get a lot of varying opinions :winking-face:

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what budget you are working with, but if you are considering Radions, chances are that money is not the main concern ;)

What livestock are you planning on adding to your tank?

OP
OP
ACW33

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think two would be good. I have diffusers but I run gen 4 xr15. Since your open to alternatives I would recomend researching a bit. A daunting task when it comes to lighting.
I have 3 gen4 xr15 that I've been running for years. Good lights but IMO there are better alternatives.
I have been running 6 Noopsyche over my 6ft 180g for about 10 months and couldn't be happier with the results. 2 would be good over a 40g breeder. The app isn't the greatest but for a sub $200 light I can't complain. There are some concerns with the power supply being shipped with the Noopsyche K7 lights recently so I would suggest looking through that thread first if you consider them. My 180 is a mixed reef I have in my aquarium showcase if you want to see the livestock.
I also have 2 reefbreeders photons over 2 other tanks. I'm very happy with those as well. I also like the app better than Mobius. The nice thing about the photons is they are panel vs Puck style so they don't have all the light spill that I get with the Noopsyche. The Noopsyche are in a canopy so it's not an issue. No canopy and I would need shades.
JMO but a photon 36 would be perfect over a 40g breeder and would grow pretty much anything you want. Also the lights ship with tank mounts and hanging mounts so that saves a little money.
Good luck deciding, I'm sure you'll get a lot of varying opinions :winking-face:
Thank you for that wealth of information. I assure you, I am reading, researching, and also depending on all of you with years of experience every step of this journey.

For my analytical brain and desire to learn, slow and steady is going to be my best path.

I’m grateful for all of you that take the time out of your day to share feedback and guidance with me. I’m okay being a newb. I’m not okay annoying people with the same questions they’ve been asked over and over again. I’m not afraid of the research at all. If left to my own accord, I would read everything in digital or print that I could get my hands on.

At some point I have to just take the next step and slowly start introducing my first frags. I’m never going to feel fully “prepared.” And the value of knowledge gained via actual experience is priceless.

Another stupid question…what does a diffuser actually do?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On some lights, by installing a diffuser you will blend and diffuse the entire cluster of led channels into one uniform spectrum resulting in a more natural shimmer and elimination of the disco ball effect (visible different colours of LED on the sand)

I have not experienced it being an issue on the Radion G.6 that I am using though but some people prefer the look - and some lights just do need them! :)

OP
OP
ACW33

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what budget you are working with, but if you are considering Radions, chances are that money is not the main concern ;)

Lol…I honestly do not have a set budget. Lights are just the next move I need to make before introducing my first frags.

And I do want at least one more fish (maybe two if the fish babies allow it). If not, I’m sincerely happy with the 4 I have that are happy and healthy. Just the average beginners:

A pair of long fin clowns (Female one of the first 2 fish in my tank. First ones I have ever owned☺️). The male was added about 4 weeks later.

A Banggai Cardinal that went in at the same time as the female clown (3/2023). Both clowns and the Cardinal were all purchased from same vendor.

A Royal Gramma was added around the same time as the male clown (4/2023). I purchased her at a lfs along with 3-4 blue-legged crab.

Also in April ‘23 I attempted the add a coral beauty and a Mandarin (I had stocked copepods in main DT and also keeping a supply in one of the 2 cheap, basic 10 gallon set up). Both of those fish were bought from the same vendor. The Mandarin arrived barely alive. I proceeded to attempt to temp and drip acclimate. He died about 6 minutes into drip acclimation.

The coral beauty died within the following week. Never would eat anything. After a couple of days her mouth turned white from what my gut told me was a bacterial infection. I had Kanaplex and Mextroplex on hand, but she went so fast I don’t think it would have matter what I tried.

I didn’t like that feeling at all. Didn’t attempt to add anything else until last month. Added a cleaner shrimp and a pair of chromis (lfs). They had found hiding places in the rock which was good because, female clown.

Next day…both gone.

OP
OP
ACW33

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On some lights, by installing a diffuser you will blend and diffuse the entire cluster of led channels into one uniform spectrum resulting in a more natural shimmer and elimination of the disco ball effect (visible different colours of LED on the sand)

I have not experienced it being an issue on the Radion G.6 that I am using though but some people prefer the look - and some lights just do need them! :)
Makes sense.

Bonus because I’ve been wondering exactly what that “disco ball” affect people talk about actually was.

Thank you!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense.

Bonus because I’ve been wondering exactly what that “disco ball” affect people talk about actually was.

Thank you!
.. it's something you don't want to have :) Make a nice cup of whatever you like to drink, put your feet your feet up and have a look at this video.

Enjoy your Texas afternoon! :star-struck:

The Roaming Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’d throw out that you could get away with a single g6 xr30. I’m running one over a 36x36 and I have no issues with shading at the edges. The tank is geared more toward zoas, mushrooms, gorgs and LPS. So I can’t speak on if it’s enough par for acros or the likes

OP
OP
ACW33

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have not experienced it being an issue on the Radion G.6 that I am using though but some people prefer the look - and some lights just do need them!

I have a very basic beginner tank. No sump. Seachem’s Tidal 75 HOB with filter floss, purigen, and Seachem’s bio media that comes with the filter. My skimmer is the Reef Octopus Classic 1000.

I have two Jebao SOW-4’s.

That’s about it. Oh and the light currently is a cheap led from Amazon, for looks only of course.

Attachments

• BA128868-CF32-49B6-9327-986C3A3C0577.jpeg
    BA128868-CF32-49B6-9327-986C3A3C0577.jpeg
    254.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 404206A8-B678-4323-B3D4-42AD8EA51ACA.jpeg
    404206A8-B678-4323-B3D4-42AD8EA51ACA.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 12
  • CA70761B-B2F3-45D5-867D-BFE0EF29450E.jpeg
    CA70761B-B2F3-45D5-867D-BFE0EF29450E.jpeg
    259.9 KB · Views: 9
  • F85FA6E9-4183-4952-9857-BB5E90869BEE.jpeg
    F85FA6E9-4183-4952-9857-BB5E90869BEE.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 20
  • AB3C0A95-7F3E-4B13-99BC-16D3709183E9.jpeg
    AB3C0A95-7F3E-4B13-99BC-16D3709183E9.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 76C247BE-1B47-4DF5-BB4F-18BB2D95759F.jpeg
    76C247BE-1B47-4DF5-BB4F-18BB2D95759F.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 2121DF9D-3FFD-4212-BA9E-BC35579FAC06.jpeg
    2121DF9D-3FFD-4212-BA9E-BC35579FAC06.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 13

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for that wealth of information. I assure you, I am reading, researching, and also depending on all of you with years of experience every step of this journey.

For my analytical brain and desire to learn, slow and steady is going to be my best path.

I’m grateful for all of you that take the time out of your day to share feedback and guidance with me. I’m okay being a newb. I’m not okay annoying people with the same questions they’ve been asked over and over again. I’m not afraid of the research at all. If left to my own accord, I would read everything in digital or print that I could get my hands on.

At some point I have to just take the next step and slowly start introducing my first frags. I’m never going to feel fully “prepared.” And the value of knowledge gained via actual experience is priceless.

Another stupid question…what does a diffuser actually do?
If you get new g6 xr15's they changed the lenses for full spread no defuser needed

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 gen 5 XR15 lights on my tank and I run 100% intensity on AB plus program. Tank is 36 inches wide. I run diffusers but you don't need them with gen 6 lights because they are already built in.

OP
OP
ACW33

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very basic beginner tank. No sump. Seachem’s Tidal 75 HOB with filter floss, purigen, and Seachem’s bio media that comes with the filter. My skimmer is the Reef Octopus Classic 1000.

I have two Jebao SOW-4’s.

That’s about it. Oh and the light currently is a cheap led from Amazon, for looks only of course.
That little power head in the back corner is what I use to blow out trapped detritus and leftover food

OP
OP
ACW33

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 gen 5 XR15 lights on my tank and I run 100% intensity on AB plus program. Tank is 36 inches wide. I run diffusers but you don't need them with gen 6 lights because they are already built in.
Making notes. Thank you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back