Radion xr30 generations.

alp5747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at getting some Radion xr30 I already have some g4 and g6 and I personally like the g4 better.

is I found someone selling Radion xr30 g2 and g3 for 120usd per piece

My question is how does the g1 g2 and g3 compare to the g4 should I get the g2 and g3?
Thanks in advance

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am looking at getting some Radion xr30 I already have some g4 and g6 and I personally like the g4 better.

My question is how does the g1 g2 and g3 compare to the g4 should I get the g2 and g3?
Thanks in advance

In my opinion, they don't. I think the G4 was the best one they've ever produced. I've seen some amazing tanks and grow outs using those. World Wide Corals used to use those predominantly.

I haven't had the chance to try them, but the G6 seem to be great as well. The G4 had a fantastic spectrum and the lens angle seemed to be close to perfect. I would stick with the G4s if you can find them.

Edit: I did have the G3's back in 2013 and they did great as well. That's as far back as I would go would be the 3s if you have to.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weren't the Gen 3s upgrade-able to Gen 4? I guess even if they were, you'd have a hard time finding the parts at this point.

From a spectrum standpoint, I think the G4 was one of the best Radions ever, but there's no arguing with the success of the G5 and now G6.

Personally, if I was thinking Radions on a budget, I'd probably pull the trigger on the Chinese knock-offs at this point. Very similar in spectrum, spread, etc, and you could buy four of them for the price of a single "real" G6. Dealing with the app seems to be the only real issue people are having, but I'm used to dealing with the apps of all my other Chinese equipment already. :D

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Weren't the Gen 3s upgrade-able to Gen 4? I guess even if they were, you'd have a hard time finding the parts at this point.

From a spectrum standpoint, I think the G4 was one of the best Radions ever, but there's no arguing with the success of the G5 and now G6.

Personally, if I was thinking Radions on a budget, I'd probably pull the trigger on the Chinese knock-offs at this point. Very similar in spectrum, spread, etc, and you could buy four of them for the price of a single "real" G6. Dealing with the app seems to be the only real issue people are having, but I'm used to dealing with the apps of all my other Chinese equipment already. :D

I was looking at one of the Chinese fixtures the other day online. They've come a long way and looks really good actually. Looks like a carbon copy of the G6. Their version of the G5 is the regular and the G6 is the Pro on Alibaba. Do you know another place that has them?

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at one of the Chinese fixtures the other day online. They've come a long way and looks really good actually. Looks like a carbon copy of the G6. Their version of the G5 is the regular and the G6 is the Pro on Alibaba. Do you know another place that has them?

AliExpress and Alibaba are the only places I've ever seen them.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks in advance
I've owned (and still have) gen 2, gen3 and currently run gen 4s.

This tank was run under the Gen2 Pros , which would be the same thing as the gen3 regulars.
Old 90G SPS Tank.JPG

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in comparison they will all grow corals just fine no problem, theres just a slight visual difference in what they can produce with the later models having a bit more deep blue into the uv range.

OP
OP
A

alp5747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in comparison they will all grow corals just fine no problem, theres just a slight visual difference in what they can produce with the later models having a bit more deep blue into the uv range.
I am just wondering how the g2 and g3 compare to the g4 because I see almost every success with the g4 including large coral farms. but I have never seen someone run g3 or g2. I run my own system on g4.

Attachments

• IMG_0321.jpeg
    IMG_0321.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 11

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just wondering how the g2 and g3 compare to the g4 because I see almost every success with the g4 including large coral farms. but I have never seen someone run g3 or g2. I run my own system on g4.
I've owned (and still have) gen 2, gen3 and currently run gen 4s.

This tank was run under the Gen2 Pros , which would be the same thing as the gen3 regulars.
Old 90G SPS Tank.JPG
This tan was Gen 2 pro which is the same as the gen3 regular

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back