Radios Gen 5 to be realeased 2/17/20

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200213_191323.jpg
That's like a green chewbacca in the back ground!

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the real question is if the fans on these G5s will shut down based on temperature Lol!
Real annoying with the XR30s vs the XR15s in regards to the fans 24/7 and well not, 24/7!

You may want to talk to Ecotech, I have so much heat above my tank that I have to cool my water. The air temp that hovers above my hybrid fixtures measures 91F which is bad. I bought my G4's roughly 2 months after they were released and not once have they shut down on me due to heat.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should I sell my new bought ReefLink? haha

I could care less about these g5's. My single XR15 g4 is running just fine and my corals are happy. Unless my LEDs burn out or the unit drops in the tank. I'll run with whatI got. It'd be nice though if the app works on g4 when it's fully released.
I did a firmware update on my standard G4 and it said my G4 is Mobius ready. My G3 said it’s not Mobius ready.

tjnorthdakota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope they continue to make the gen4’s but market them at a lower more budget friendly price or intro line kinda like how kessil appeals to multiple price points with the h80’s, a160’s, a360’s, 360x ect.... Nothing wrong with old design, proven they work. I for one cant say enough for ecotech customer service, always been awesome to deal with so I think they could build more brand loyalty if more people could afford them

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who really cares if this “news” leaked, just free advertising for them. It’s not like a secret, just a light and I will snatch some G4’s if they are cheap enough. That’s why I have seen some many G4’s for sale lol.
Right? I might put another pair over my 150 cube

Jono1487

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know it’s early and a ton of videos and comparisons will come out soon but what are the main differences between the Blue and the Pro? Just a wider blue spectrum with the Blue?

OP
OP
J

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Number of blue vs white leds, lime leds vs no lime, 215 Watts vs 205, there’s quite a bit. I’d venture to say there will be different preset programs available as well.

Jose Berry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious, how hard is it to get an xr30 non pro to run like a pro? This might have been answered some where but it looks as if those LED’s are installed just not functioning any ideas?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious, how hard is it to get an xr30 non pro to run like a pro? This might have been answered some where but it looks as if those LED’s are installed just not functioning any ideas?
Unfortunately, it can't be done, the LED arrays are different, not sure if the drivers are the same, but the reason why it's impossible is the software, there's no way to upgrade the software to make it think it's a pro.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t realize they finally added the Lime and Cyan diodes in the Gen 5 Blue. That’s what Dave Fason from Nanobox Reef has had in his LED arrays since 2014, though Dave has since moved on from Lime to Mint diodes. Definitely adds to better color rendering in our corals... took ‘em long enough! :rolleyes: ;)

Last edited:

cmantis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not top secret only hope it will help some people thinking of buying the g4 wait and possibly get a better light and not feel burned.

It actually is hope your not a dealer. Announcement was to be 17th. Won't be out for months.

tkeracer619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said in "terms of layout" as a method to describe the differences with the new G5 over previous generations. I in no way shape or form took that as him comparing them to made in china junk black boxes. If anything he is 100% correct, when I finally saw the PDF that's the first thing that came to mind! I think it's expected that these will perform waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.
That’s why I said I understood where he was coming from. There are many people comparing them to black boxes in ither ways though, which, if the black boxes held w candle to high end leds we would all have black boxes. I’m just saying it’s a bad comparison because even though they have switched to a single puck vs 2 the led array is still very compact. The lensing is certainly also much better than the generic clip on reflectors the boxes use. Optics make a massive difference. It wasn’t too long ago we used flat aluminum sheets for halide reflectors and went nuts for parabolics, then switch to luminarcs, reefbrites, and lumenmaxs.

tkeracer619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries on the judgment thing! I was hoping myself to change them every 1-2 years as that was part of my initial attraction to T5 (lower cost than more LED units). The hybrid aquatic life units get crowded really quick, my tank is 96x30x24 so I have two 48" units side by side loaded with 3 radion XR30 G4s each. While I love this fixtures, they don't have a cooling system and the T5 area leaves little room for air flow. My tank is in-wall so the dedicated fish room behind it is housing a ton of heat. I have wall mounted fans to help but the heat over-all I think plays a role into the lifespan.

I had issues with colors and when I finally got my own PAR meter I was shocked to see how much they drop off over time. They begin to look visually dimmer after the 6 month mark for me, it's almost exactly 6 months every time. I stagger replacement on front to back bulbs (my back bulbs are not as important based on my aquascaping) so that I can easily look up and see a drastic difference in the older bulbs as a visual cue it's time to replace.

This is why I have such a love/hate with T5. Based on my setup and smaller fish room I struggle with layout/heat and power requirements.
You need to setup some small fans to blow over the bulb ends.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back