Rail Options for a 72" Tank

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 180 gallon mixed reef. I really don't have any options to hang lights from the ceiling above the tank as it's a cathedral ceiling and it's sloped too.

So, I think I'm stuck to mounting the lights to a rail of sorts. I would like to go LED with T5 supplemental but if I used something like the 60" Aquatic Life unit, I don't know how I could hang it.

If I can't go with T5 supplemental with LED, I guess I'm stuck with just LED's and mount them to the tank with either the Ecotech RMS rail (I'd go with 3 XR30w Pro) or use the mounting system by Kessil that attaches to the back of the tank. (I'd go 3 AP700's)

I'm reaching out to see what I'm missing. Anybody have any ideas? Are there different mounting Rail systems?

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand what you are going through. I also have cathedral ceilings and I wrestled with different hanging options, and finally decided to go with 3/4" electrical conduit. It is easy to adjust height, bend, paint, and can support the weight 2 Hydra 52 HDs and 1- 250 MH.
20180728_130739.jpg

Last edited:

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my last tank (8x2x2) I had T-5s and LEDs that were attached to a hinged shelf that mounted to the wall behind the tank. This was a very strong design. At one time is was supporting well over 150lbs of metal halides and ballasts. However it did make it challenging to do some maintainence on the tank, and I was never able to conceal it that well.
P1140669_zpsa9ucovej.jpg

OP
OP
JMetaxas

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a MONSTER clam in the middle?

On my last tank (8x2x2) I had T-5s and LEDs that were attached to a hinged shelf that mounted to the wall behind the tank. This was a very strong design. At one time is was supporting well over 150lbs of metal halides and ballasts. However it did make it challenging to do some maintainence on the tank, and I was never able to conceal it that well.
P1140669_zpsa9ucovej.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back