Rainbow Chalices - Let's talk about them!

Reefing8EZ

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm joining the club today! Getting my SC Atom Bomb in later.. Woohoo! So stoked!
Gotta thank Rev, SexyCorals, and Reef2Reef for this awesome chalice! Pics to come..

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm growing out a Rainbow Magic for a group growout. It doesn't have most of its colors right now, but even so, it is a very nice looking chalice.

SCRainbowMagic8-6-12.jpg

CJ

engine_24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving these chalices...I have the flaming buggati and the rainbow crush. Ill post pics shortly!

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm growing out a Rainbow Magic for a group growout. It doesn't have most of its colors right now, but even so, it is a very nice looking chalice.

SCRainbowMagic8-6-12.jpg

Nice piece but doesn't look like the rainbow magic to me. Is this the wwc rainbow magic chalice? If you don't mind me asking, who did you get it from? Here's a picture of my piece below. Not much of a rainbow right now, and not very magical, lol (I give it too much light). If my tank wasn't so small and full I'd lower it down a bit so it could color up but where I have it is convenient for feeding and keeping it clear of critters.

211.jpg

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SCRainbowMagic8-6-12.jpg

Nice piece but doesn't look like the rainbow magic to me. Is this the wwc rainbow magic chalice? If you don't mind me asking, who did you get it from? Here's a picture of my piece below. Not much of a rainbow right now, and not very magical, lol (I give it too much light). If my tank wasn't so small and full I'd lower it down a bit so it could color up but where I have it is convenient for feeding and keeping it clear of critters.

211.jpg

We purchased it from Sexy Corals as part of a growout, but am not sure of the originator. Here is the pic that he has up of the colony:
Chalice_RainbowMagic.jpg

Here is the picture after our original grower, Drainbamage, received it (3/22/11):
RainbowMagic3-22-11.jpg

Here it is later in his tank:
20110511-DSC_0442.jpg

Like many of the other growouts, we had more than our share of problems. The original grower ended up having a lot of issues and we were lucky enough that SD Actuary was local to him and took what corals were left to continue growing them out. Here it is immediately after SD Actuary got it from Drainbamage:

RainbowMagic-4.jpg

Here it is in SD Actuary's tank (bottom left corner)

DSCN2376.jpg

Well, the saga continued. SD Actuary found out that he was going to be doing a lot of traveling for work and asked if someone else could take over. I volunteered and he shipped them to me. Here it is immediately after receiving it from SD Actuary in April 2012:
SCRainbowMagic4-6-12.jpg

The picture in my original post was taken last month. It is really growing well now and has almost reached the edges of the plug. However, the color is just not there. I'm not sure what the issue is, but most of the chalices I've kept have morphed over time. That includes the Rainbow Magic, the Tyree Pink Watermelon (looked like a red watermelon), SC Dynamite (is darker than most pics I see), and the ARC Convict (has really oranged out). I'm running LEDs and have had some issues with phosphates over the last two months from feeding my LPS too much. I'm not sure whether it is this, the amount of light they are getting, or the flow (I keep them on a frag shelf fairly high in the tank with low to medium light and light flow). I'm thinking of putting them on a rock on the sandbed to see if more flow helps them.

I'm not trying to get this thread too off topic, but I'd appreciate any advice I could get!

Thanks,
CJ

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not been able to look at all the pages inthe thread yet but I have been drooling over some of the rainbows. I sure wish Pittsburgh had higher quality corals. If I want something I guess I am going to have to pay and have it shipped which I have never done yet.

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This picture represents the colors I want to get, lol. What a crazy ordeal that frag has gone through. I'm glad it's doing better now. Growth is the most important thing becuase that means it's healthy, coloration you can always get back by placement and experimentation. Just don't move it around too much or too fast. I have mine high up under my t5 and led strips so I get the darker purple, blue and red colors. With lower lighting I believe the other colors start popping up but haven't tested my theory yet. I'm not to familiar with leds but from what I've heard, chalices look better under mh and t5 lighting. Not sure if it's true but might be something to read up on. I firmly believe that some lighting while being great for certain corals will change the coloration and growth of others. In a perfect world I'd have a set up specifically for sps and only a few hard lps or softies mixed in and another system for only my lps and softies. Seperate systems, temperature, lighting and feeding amounts.

RainbowMagic-4.jpg

Nuocmam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to a friend who has both the SC Dynamite and SC Atom Bomb for awhile now. He's noticed that the green rim on the Dynamite is much brighter than the green rim on the Atom Bomb but the yellow/orange rim on the Atom Bomb is brighter than the Dynamite. Did that make sense?

SteezySPS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to a friend who has both the SC Dynamite and SC Atom Bomb for awhile now. He's noticed that the green rim on the Dynamite is much brighter than the green rim on the Atom Bomb but the yellow/orange rim on the Atom Bomb is brighter than the Dynamite. Did that make sense?
IMG_9197.jpg

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is really interesting and potentially a solid way to differentiate the two if there is a mix up.

BlueWaterTropicals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try not to bother with the fancy names. You can take a wild colony, divide 4-6 ways, send each piece to a different vender. One of the venders gives it a fancy name and jacks the price up. The other venders (who have the identicle copy of it) then tries to call it the same thing and they get flogged because it didnt come from the vender who named it even though it came from the same mother colony.

Lacktaters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for pointing this out! I just went to Mike's site to check his stock photos. I can't believe I haven't noticed this as many times as I've been there windowshopping. The dynamite photo shows a solid green rim, and the atom bomb photo shows a solid orange rim. While most of the frags and mini colonies I've seen have both colors in the rim, I think the greens tend to stand out more on the dynamites and the oranges tend to stand out more on the atom bombs.

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated shots of my pieces. From what I can tell these are all very hardy and fairly good growers.

JF sweetooth
IMG_3389.jpg

JF sweetooth (2nd piece)
IMG_3402.jpg

WWC Jellybean
IMG_3391.jpg

CB rainbow crush
IMG_3394.jpg

My bugatti
IMG_3396.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back