Raise nitrates fast or slow?

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a decently bad algae bloom because my nitrates got to low "for me" they got all the way down to 5ppm for my tank which is usually at 20-30ppm. Some corals are fine but some have been closed up. Would i get any problems if I dose nitrates to quickly?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a decently bad algae bloom because my nitrates got to low "for me" they got all the way down to 5ppm for my tank which is usually at 20-30ppm. Some corals are fine but some have been closed up. Would i get any problems if I dose nitrates to quickly?
I don’t think you’ll have any problems… I’ve had my skimmer decide to overflow after collecting for a week and dump a ton of skim mate back in the tank resulting in a spike and had zero issues.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dosed sodium nitrate all at once to raise mine before. I read a statement that RHF made saying it was OK to raise nitrates quickly.

EDIT : Just curious what type of corals you keep? I found my LPS and softies thrive if I keep nitrate close to 20. They hate it when it gets low. SPS, at least for me don't really seem to care much about nitrates either way as long as they aren't zero.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dosed sodium nitrate all at once to raise mine before. I read a statement that RHF made saying it was OK to raise nitrates quickly.

EDIT : Just curious what type of corals you keep? I found my LPS and softies thrive if I keep nitrate close to 20. They hate it when it gets low. SPS, at least for me don't really seem to care much about nitrates either way as long as they aren't zero.
I'm keeping lps and softies.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back