Raise nitrates fast or slow?

TCseh

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 28, 2022
Messages
481
Reaction score
239
Location
Broken Arrow Oklahoma
What state or country do you live in
Oklahoma
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a decently bad algae bloom because my nitrates got to low "for me" they got all the way down to 5ppm for my tank which is usually at 20-30ppm. Some corals are fine but some have been closed up. Would i get any problems if I dose nitrates to quickly?
 
I have had a decently bad algae bloom because my nitrates got to low "for me" they got all the way down to 5ppm for my tank which is usually at 20-30ppm. Some corals are fine but some have been closed up. Would i get any problems if I dose nitrates to quickly?
I don’t think you’ll have any problems… I’ve had my skimmer decide to overflow after collecting for a week and dump a ton of skim mate back in the tank resulting in a spike and had zero issues.
 
I've dosed sodium nitrate all at once to raise mine before. I read a statement that RHF made saying it was OK to raise nitrates quickly.

EDIT : Just curious what type of corals you keep? I found my LPS and softies thrive if I keep nitrate close to 20. They hate it when it gets low. SPS, at least for me don't really seem to care much about nitrates either way as long as they aren't zero.
 
Last edited:
I've dosed sodium nitrate all at once to raise mine before. I read a statement that RHF made saying it was OK to raise nitrates quickly.

EDIT : Just curious what type of corals you keep? I found my LPS and softies thrive if I keep nitrate close to 20. They hate it when it gets low. SPS, at least for me don't really seem to care much about nitrates either way as long as they aren't zero.
I'm keeping lps and softies.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new