Raise ph with an air stone??

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ph hovers around 8.0 which is fine the ps2 skimmer has an intake at the top so it would be tough to rig it up. But you really don’t need to

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also on ps2 there’s a little foam cover on the air intake. Every once and a while make sure you clean it. It makes a huge difference in performance. Also just ask when it comes to tuning it. Water level in the tank makes a huge difference

OP
OP
Paul31733

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also on ps2 there’s a little foam cover on the air intake. Every once and a while make sure you clean it. It makes a huge difference in performance. Also just ask when it comes to tuning it. Water level in the tank makes a huge difference
Ya looking at it now it looks like a big cover for the air intake.
Is there any other skimmer that fits this tank that is easier to hook up an airline to?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya looking at it now it looks like a big cover for the air intake.
Is there any other skimmer that fits this tank that is easier to hook up an airline to?
Why can't you plug the air intake line on the PS2 directly into air tubing instead of that hole at the top of the collection cover? I plan to run a line from the CO2 scrubber directly into the air intake of the PS2 and then have the return air plumbed into the Fluval's hole at the top of the skimmer with a barbed connector.

OP
OP
Paul31733

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why can't you plug the air intake line on the PS2 directly into air tubing instead of that hole at the top of the collection cover? I plan to run a line from the CO2 scrubber directly into the air intake of the PS2 and then have the return air plumbed into the Fluval's hole at the top of the skimmer with a barbed connector.
I will figure something out tomorrow and let you know. I put my order in to pick up tomorrow.

OP
OP
Paul31733

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record I took the air stone out now as I noticed micro bubbles after an hour of it running. Will not work to my liking in this tank...

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record I took the air stone out now as I noticed micro bubbles after an hour of it running. Will not work to my liking in this tank...
It also adds massively to salt creep, and especially on a low canopy like the one on the Evo. I've got an airstone in mine (it did raise the pH by 0.1), and the salt encrustation is interfering with the touch light system. I'll be taking out my own airstone tonight.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also adds massively to salt creep, and especially on a low canopy like the one on the Evo. I've got an airstone in mine (it did raise the pH by 0.1), and the salt encrustation is interfering with the touch light system. I'll be taking out my own airstone tonight.

.1 doesn’t seem worth the hassle.

did the salt creep also affect your salinity?

OP
OP
Paul31733

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the lid.. I ditched it long ago for an a.i. prime and it is amazing!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.1 doesn’t seem worth the hassle.

did the salt creep also affect your salinity?
Not enough to be noticeable with my refractometer. It's been steady at 1.025 SG since I set it up; I've added about 250 mL of RO topup water over the course of a week. The airstone (now removed) did double evaporation, but I threaded the line through the feeding slot in the canopy and had to scrub off salt every time I wanted to use the lights. I agree that the .1 rise wasn't worth it.

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your alkalinity currently? If it's lower (7-9ish DKH), raising it to 10-11.5ish slowly over a number of days will give you a higher pH for a given indoor CO2 level. If you go that route, just make sure to keep your NO3 and PO4 slightly elevated as well to prevent tip burn on the corals.

That being said, unless your low pH in the evening is actually causing an issue, I'd probably just leave it where it is.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your alkalinity currently? If it's lower (7-9ish DKH), raising it to 10-11.5ish slowly over a number of days will give you a higher pH for a given indoor CO2 level. If you go that route, just make sure to keep your NO3 and PO4 slightly elevated as well to prevent tip burn on the corals.

That being said, unless your low pH in the evening is actually causing an issue, I'd probably just leave it where it is.
Just tested it at 11.5, and it's been holding steady at that level. This is why I don't want to drip kalk...

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you're kind of just stuck where you're at in that situation then :(

If you really wanted to get tricky with it you could always look into installing a little hang-on refugium on a reverse light cycle.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you're kind of just stuck where you're at in that situation then :(

If you really wanted to get tricky with it you could always look into installing a little hang-on refugium on a reverse light cycle.
My Evo is just finishing its cycle, and there's just macro in it right now (along with a leather frag), so I'm not terribly concerned; I'd be much more displeased if this was a mature tank with these issues. Still, since the Evo has a closed canopy, and pH is low, it's best to look ahead at this point.

I'm going the CO2 scrubber route, though, and that'll likely assist with pH values.

OP
OP
Paul31733

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many ml of 2 part are you adding per day?
Screenshot_20201229-075718.png

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back