Raised area on Foxface

Chris Kunz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was checking on my tank before work this morning and noticed what almost looked like a raised circular nodule with a central ulceration? I tried to get the best picture I could, I will try and get a better one tonight. My purple tang also looked like he might have 2-3 raised black dots on one side that were black in color and much smaller, but I couldn't get a clear view of him. All of these fish have been in the tank for over a year, and all the tangs were added at the same time with the same supplier. There haven’t been any major changes to the tank, or changes to the parameters, so I am not sure what to do. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Foxface.jpg

Aquarium type: Fish-only (plan on adding corals, but have been fighting dino outbreak for ~8m, was just starting to think it was gone)

Water Volume: 200 gal in display, ~30 in sump (IM EXT 200 tank w/ IceCap 48Xl Sump)

Filtration type: Roller mat, skimmer, GFO as needed

Lighting: Kessel AP700 (2). They are in a LED/T5 hybrid, but the T5's are left off since there are no corals yet and dinos have been a problem

Tank was first setup 9/2020

UV: Pentair 40w (bulb last replaced 4 months ago). Flow is set at 249-252 (apex monitored). UV has been on tank since it was 3 months old and is ran off the return pump and back into tank.

Other fish in tank (all have been in for 1 year or more): Purple Tang, Mimic Tang, Sailfin Tang, White Tail bristle tooth, Purple Dartfish, two banggai cardinalfish, two clownfish, one engineer goby, one fire shrimp, lots of trochus snails.

Water Quality

Temp: Between 78 and 78.8

pH: between 8.10 and 8.26

Specific Gravity: 35

Alk: 9.1 w/ Hanna, 8.6 w/ trident.

Nitrate: 12.3 w/ Hanna

Phosphate 0.13 w/ Hanna

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was checking on my tank before work this morning and noticed what almost looked like a raised circular nodule with a central ulceration? I tried to get the best picture I could, I will try and get a better one tonight. My purple tang also looked like he might have 2-3 raised black dots on one side that were black in color and much smaller, but I couldn't get a clear view of him. All of these fish have been in the tank for over a year, and all the tangs were added at the same time with the same supplier. There haven’t been any major changes to the tank, or changes to the parameters, so I am not sure what to do. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Foxface.jpg

Aquarium type: Fish-only (plan on adding corals, but have been fighting dino outbreak for ~8m, was just starting to think it was gone)

Water Volume: 200 gal in display, ~30 in sump (IM EXT 200 tank w/ IceCap 48Xl Sump)

Filtration type: Roller mat, skimmer, GFO as needed

Lighting: Kessel AP700 (2). They are in a LED/T5 hybrid, but the T5's are left off since there are no corals yet and dinos have been a problem

Tank was first setup 9/2020

UV: Pentair 40w (bulb last replaced 4 months ago). Flow is set at 249-252 (apex monitored). UV has been on tank since it was 3 months old and is ran off the return pump and back into tank.

Other fish in tank (all have been in for 1 year or more): Purple Tang, Mimic Tang, Sailfin Tang, White Tail bristle tooth, Purple Dartfish, two banggai cardinalfish, two clownfish, one engineer goby, one fire shrimp, lots of trochus snails.

Water Quality

Temp: Between 78 and 78.8

pH: between 8.10 and 8.26

Specific Gravity: 35

Alk: 9.1 w/ Hanna, 8.6 w/ trident.

Nitrate: 12.3 w/ Hanna

Phosphate 0.13 w/ Hanna

The lesion behind its pectoral fin that looks like a squashed "C"? I'm stumped! If you can get a clearer picture, that might help, or even perhaps a short video.

Jay

OP
OP
C

Chris Kunz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try to get something better tonight. It is the one that looks like a squashed C, but it actually appeared to go all the way around like a ring and be slightly raised. He was swimming and eating fine, and has seemed healthy until now. (at least by my novice assessment)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I will try to get something better tonight. It is the one that looks like a squashed C, but it actually appeared to go all the way around like a ring and be slightly raised. He was swimming and eating fine, and has seemed healthy until now. (at least by my novice assessment)
Also to note, can be a bite mark

OP
OP
C

Chris Kunz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I was never able to get back. This is a crazy time of year, and I have to keep working to try and get a vette someday ;). I really think whatever was on the foxface was just a laceration from hitting a rock or a tang possibly. Over the next couple of days the swelling went down and lead to slight pallor around the site. At this point it is almost healed, and the foxface has always seemed active and healthy.

If anyone ever has anything similar I hope this helps. Thanks again for your guys help!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%
Back