Replay

20191211_205509.jpg

Slingshot357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New additions to the tank from WWC.

Also did weekly water tests and everything is looking real good. Salinity 1.025, PH 8.22, Phosphate 0.11, Alkalinity 8.2, Calcium 452 and Magnesium 1320.

image0.jpeg

Rasta Zoanthid

image1.jpeg

Mystic Sunset Montipora

image2.jpeg

Kenya Tree Leather

image3.jpeg

Seasons Greetings Montipora

image4.jpeg

Green Slimer Acropora

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New additions to the tank from WWC.

Also did weekly water tests and everything is looking real good. Salinity 1.025, PH 8.22, Phosphate 0.11, Alkalinity 8.2, Calcium 452 and Magnesium 1320.

image0.jpeg

Rasta Zoanthid

image1.jpeg

Mystic Sunset Montipora

image2.jpeg

Kenya Tree Leather

image3.jpeg

Seasons Greetings Montipora

image4.jpeg

Green Slimer Acropora
water parameters on the money

Slingshot357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking, I could probably get a small clam now. From the limited amount of knowledge I have about taking care of Dendra it's very similar to taking care of a juvenile clam. Maybe even a fire scallop? I've always wanted a clam or scallop.

Speaking of that, why do I see some people taking care of Dendronephthya have a mesh bag of clams or I think I even seen one guy had a bag of oysters in their sumps? What is the purpose of that? Is it to just remove excess nutrients?

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking, I could probably get a small clam now. From the limited amount of knowledge I have about taking care of Dendra it's very similar to taking care of a juvenile clam. Maybe even a fire scallop? I've always wanted a clam or scallop.

Speaking of that, why do I see some people taking care of Dendronephthya have a mesh bag of clams or I think I even seen one guy had a bag of oysters in their sumps? What is the purpose of that? Is it to just remove excess nutrients?
Like these oysters, I tried oysters, hoping to reduce food in water column

Screenshot_2019-12-15-09-56-41.png Screenshot_2019-12-15-09-56-34.png

Slingshot357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like these oysters, I tried oysters, hoping to reduce food in water column

Screenshot_2019-12-15-09-56-41.png Screenshot_2019-12-15-09-56-34.png

Yea. I've seen one person that had around 10 bags of regular, fish market clams in a huge refugium. He must have a lot of excess nutrients to get rid of.

Does it help? Or not enough to bother doing it?

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. I've seen one person that had around 10 bags of regular, fish market clams in a huge refugium. He must have a lot of excess nutrients to get rid of.

Does it help? Or not enough to bother doing it?
I've had as many as 80 oysters in past. Kept nutrients in check. But I think I was over feeding too.

Slingshot357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had as many as 80 oysters in past. Kept nutrients in check. But I think I was over feeding too.

I intentionally avoid looking at my Nitrates. I know it's probably high and it will send my OCD into overload. Also it seems the opinions on the importance of nitrates is wildly varied. Everything from "no more than 5ppm" to "just ignore it and worry about phosphates". I guess I'm not looking to dive head first into anymore rabbit holes. I'm just going with "if the tank looks fine don't fix it".

So far, except for the green color of my rock in the place of purple coraline algae, I don't have any other problems with algae. Nothing that a quick dose of vibrant can't easily fix.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I intentionally avoid looking at my Nitrates. I know it's probably high and it will send my OCD into overload. Also it seems the opinions on the importance of nitrates is wildly varied. Everything from "no more than 5ppm" to "just ignore it and worry about phosphates". I guess I'm not looking to dive head first into anymore rabbit holes. I'm just going with "if the tank looks fine don't fix it".

So far, except for the green color of my rock in the place of purple coraline algae, I don't have any other problems with algae. Nothing that a quick dose of vibrant can't easily fix.
I've had NO3 up to 40ppm, no issues to corals, baby sun cup corals everywhere. As to PO4, haven't checked on any of my tanks since 1 year ago. Gorgonians are sensitive to PO4.
Just look at corals as reference to healthy, happy corals.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back