Dendronephthya & Scleronephthya aquaculture

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
all my secrets are here on this thread, I've not kept it a secret on making these corals thrive, and God willing if I sell them, what good would that be, because the customer or client would be killing them still.

08/03/2020 List of corals that enjoy living with Pacific oysters or oysters in general
All specimens healthy and non photo synthetic
1. All carnation corals
2. All silk/tree corals (scleronephthya)
3. Certain gorgonians, must experiment
4. All sponges and tunicates
5. Sun cup corals must experiment
More info coming. ...... :)

We still have more work ahead of us.
As of 8/2020, we've seen growth and some success. From 0-10 we're at 9.5. What we notice we need to work on is being more discipline and making sure all water parameters are spot-on and all maintenance is done on time.

What have we learned and/or discovered by accident

In relation to NPS soft corals, we know they need proper food, proper flow, proper filtration.
After adding Pacific oysters, I'm of the opinion that these beautiful corals can thrive in almost any tank.

Foods
Thru the day, they're fed live phyto-feast 5-15ml when I remember as a treat. Also oyster feast same amount. Also, I feed the phytoplankton from @Thespammailaccount,
Seem like corals have adapted to only powder foods. Powder whole anchovies, Reef Roids, powder kelp,powder whole egg, and powder Nannochloropsis Salina. I have a fish feeder that can feed powder Foods, and I modified to come on once every 4 hrs 24/7

Filtration

I have approximately 20 lb of Marco Rock, canister filter 7 lbs activated carbon on discharge of return pump . No more DE filtration, since adding 30 Pacific oysters the corals seem to settle in, feel unstressed, different. 15 oysters hidden in DT.
15 Pacific oysters in sump.

As of 08/04/2020
NO3 10 mg/l
PO4. ?
CA 435
ALK 8.1
PHP. 74
07/02/2020
Pacific oysters in sump. 15 of them. Every time I add Pacific oysters to a new tank setup, the non photosynthetic come alive

Flow
Since adding oysters it's been like day and night the benefits, weather the corals are in the sump or in the display tank which both have different flow patterns they open up and feed just the way they look in the ocean.The point is, if you can get them to open up and you have oysters in the tank they will thrive. I've come to this conclusion

Every tank setup is different and the key or the main key is to get the Carnation corals and any similar to them to open up as soon as possible, then having oysters in the system will keep them open. And thriving
So the flow can be whatever it is as long as a corals are open, that's the key, example, my sump flow is different from display and yet corals in sump open and thrive, same as DT.

There's more but for another time.

As of 05/20/2020

Since adding the Pacific oysters at this time we are at 30, 15 hidden in the display tank and the rest are in the sump. The transformation has been like day and night. Because my water conditions were not right I had a lot of corals starting to starve themselves and now the ones that are still alive are open or starting to open and doing the reverse getting healthy. If I could gauge it from 0 to 10, right now we are at like 9 .5. 10 would be thriving exactly like in the ocean and we're not there yet but very close now.

Here's an example, I have one Carnation Coral that was dying and since I started adding the Pacific oysters small polyps re emerging, this would not happen if the coral is starving and slowly dying.

So, in about a year or sooner will be selling some assets and expanding the aquaculture of these corals and other similar ones. And our dream of doing a Go Fund to pay for first aquarium institution that will have a tank with almost thriving NPS soft corals and such is going to happen.

Purple Carnation Coral from Exclusive Corals
IMG_20191122_140942_604.jpg IMG_20200527_180212_126.jpg Screenshot_20200602-205956.png

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
While I'm waiting on carnation corals . Just bought this,NPS WHITE TELESTO CORAL

Screenshot_2018-10-23-19-41-50-1.png
I'm planning on getting that very coral next month! It's an invasive species in several parts of the world, Carijoa riisei, so it should be a piece of cake in aquaria (that's also what the seller on ebay told me).

Subsea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
image.jpg
I'm planning on getting that very coral next month! It's an invasive species in several parts of the world, Carijoa riisei, so it should be a piece of cake in aquaria (that's also what the seller on ebay told me).
I am not brave enough to do eBay. For certain, I do not get reef husbandry advice on eBay, but that is me.
Good fortune to you on your “brave new world” of NPS.

@Jomama
Have you tried out oysters yet. I got my idea from @Paul B. He harvest clams in Long Island sound. After a snack of red wine & fresh clams, instead of putting left over shells with clam bits & pieces in garbage, he feeds it all to the tank.

Subsea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
While I'm waiting on carnation corals . Just bought this,NPS WHITE TELESTO CORAL

Screenshot_2018-10-23-19-41-50-1.png
You are killing me with these gorgeous pictures. In a recent NPS presentation, the speaker spoke of diving on a reef and seeing a football field sized area packed with Carnation Corals. It is a beautiful world to behold. Keep it coming.

OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
image.jpg

I am not brave enough to do eBay. For certain, I do not get reef husbandry advice on eBay, but that is me.

@Jomama
Have you tried out oysters yet. I got my idea from @Paul B. He harvest clams in Long Island sound. After a snack of red wine & fresh clams, instead of putting left over shells with clam bits & pieces in garbage, he feeds it all to the tank.
For corals, had to get it, around here rare to find these. And it's CC charge so can't go wrong. Never bought live corals on eBay too.

OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
About oysters, havent
image.jpg

@Jomama
You are killing me with these gorgeous pictures. In a recent NPS presentation, the speaker spoke of diving on a reef and seeing a football field sized area packed with Carnation Corals. It is a beautiful world to behold. Keep it coming.
So today replace 95% of conditioned water with distill, add salt to it. 1.025.
Getting ready for my children of the sea

Top Shelf Aquatics

When you feed your fish do you feel like your feeding the algae as well?

• Yes I feel I'm feeding too much

Votes: 132 30.7%
  • Yes but not much

Votes: 169 39.3%
  • No

Votes: 118 27.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 2.6%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors