Raising Nitrate by adding fishes

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had an issue with phosphate that I've dealt with using rowaphos but I think it causes fluctuations in phosphate that causes my corals to close up from time to time (esp the few days after I put the rowa in). I have a refugium but the growth is slow and think it may be due to my nitrate being 2-5ppm on my salifert test kit. Also I have the lights on 24hrs, would this decrease growth of my macro?

I think my nitrates are low because I only have 3 fishes and a pistol shrimp in my 2ft cube 60g tank with sump.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugiums can be lit for 24 hours. What light do you have on the refugium?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is ill advised. Plants need downtime.

The common way to create stability is with reverse cycle lighting.

You are correct that plants do need down time. However, algae are not plants. This is a common misconception. Algae do not sleep. They are far simpler organisms. In fact, algaebarn lights their macroalge 24 hours a day. Besides algaebarn and some scientific literature I have read, my 40 gallons growout of chaeto disagrees.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct that plants do need down time. However, algae are not plants. This is a common misconception. Algae do not sleep. They are far simpler organisms. In fact, algaebarn lights their macroalge 24 hours a day. Besides algaebarn and some scientific literature I have read, my 40 gallons growout of chaeto disagrees.
I can also concur that I have left my ref lit 24 hours a day with the cheato doing just fine. Now..try that with your coral or nemmies, THEN it's a problem. But they aren't macro algae

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral are populated by dinoflagellates.

I disagree about a 24/7 light cycle but if your experience is otherwise then it is important to follow that experience. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had an issue with phosphate that I've dealt with using rowaphos but I think it causes fluctuations in phosphate that causes my corals to close up from time to time (esp the few days after I put the rowa in). I have a refugium but the growth is slow and think it may be due to my nitrate being 2-5ppm on my salifert test kit. Also I have the lights on 24hrs, would this decrease growth of my macro?

I think my nitrates are low because I only have 3 fishes and a pistol shrimp in my 2ft cube 60g tank with sump.

You may get more macroalgae growth at higher nitrate, but if the purpose is to lower phosphate, that effect will be offset by additional phosphate from the food.

What is a typical phosphate value? Maybe just stop the GFO, or change it more gradually, if fluctuating phosphate is your concern.

Some trace elements (especially iron and manganese) may help spur macroalgae growth.

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may get more macroalgae growth at higher nitrate, but if the purpose is to lower phosphate, that effect will be offset by additional phosphate from the food.

What is a typical phosphate value? Maybe just stop the GFO, or change it more gradually, if fluctuating phosphate is your concern.

Some trace elements (especially iron and manganese) may help spur macroalgae growth.
I think the phosphate is at 0.5

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral are populated by dinoflagellates.

I disagree about a 24/7 light cycle but if your experience is otherwise then it is important to follow that experience. :)

That is also tru about the zooxanthellae but, I believe the concern may be more for the coral host rather than the zooxanthellae. My guess would be over production of zooxanthellae but I can't say that for sure

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back