Rambling question about Nitrate Algae Growth Stocking and Feeding

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Chris Braid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in advance apologies if this seems a bit random.

Six months ago upgraded to a RedSea Reefer 750XXL using Siporax and Zeovit then for various reasons the main one being time spent away with work I moved over to Triton 8 weeks ago to reduce responsibility on the family whilst I'm away.

Algae in the sump isn't growing at all. Sump it lit by a 240w UFO LED. Nitrate according to RedSea Pro Kit is hovering around 0.1ppm which I assume is the reason my Algae isn't growing. I know Triton don't offer a setpoint for ideal Nitrate but assume the reefers on this forum using Triton have an idea of what they feel is ideal.

Assuming I want to raise Nitrate what would you feel is the best way?
My stocking level to me feels fairly high (remember I was a zeovit person :) )
1 x Yellow Tang
1 x Goldflake Angel
1 x Flame Angel
4 x Bi-Color Anthias
2 x Common Clown
1 x Copperband Butterfly
1 x Twistii wrasse
1 x Yellow Tail Tamarin
1 x New Guinea Wrasse

Fed 3 x cubes Frozen and and about 2 gram of Masstick per day.

So.
1. Should I be worried by the lack of Algae in the sump?
2. Do I need to raise Nitrate?
3. Add more fish or just feed more?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks, Chris

dgrigor02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. As long as nitrate levels are not rising and/or phosphates are not rising, then no don't worry about growth.
2. If your using some other method for controlling phosphates then no need to add nitrates. If your primary method of removing phosphates is algae and phosphate levels are rising then yes, adding additional nitrates may help lower phosphates assuming your algae has adequate flow and light levels.
3. #1 priority IMO is to keep your fish well feed, starving fish to maintain water quality is not acceptable. If your already generously feeding your fish, I would not feed more becuase your usually adding more phosphate to the system rather than nitrate. If you feel your nitrate limited ( IMO that means non detectable from test kit ) then better to adding KN03 than attempting to add nitrates from food.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back