Rampaging Tuxedo Urchin

Sabra616

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I have a tuxedo urchin "Gus" who does a great job at keeping algae at bay. That being said I am done with him picking up my zoas and removing them from their place in the tank. Gus seems to only like to pick up the expensive ones. I have superglued their frag plugs into holes on the rock yet Gus is still ripping them out of the holes, days after the glue has set. I want to replace Gus I was thinking of a few trochus snails to take his place. Thoughts? Is there a solution that keeps Gus in the tank? My girlfriend is quite attached.

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I have a tuxedo urchin "Gus" who does a great job at keeping algae at bay. That being said I am done with him picking up my zoas and removing them from their place in the tank. Gus seems to only like to pick up the expensive ones. I have superglued their frag plugs into holes on the rock yet Gus is still ripping them out of the holes, days after the glue has set. I want to replace Gus I was thinking of a few trochus snails to take his place. Thoughts? Is there a solution that keeps Gus in the tank? My girlfriend is quite attached.
There was another member who put a few small helmets in the tank for his urchin to carry around and he said it helped. He told me to reach out to @Porkenchop if I was looking to try something similar. Just an idea, but from what I have heard it’s bound to happen with an urchin on the prowl.

OP
OP
Sabra616

Sabra616

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was another member who put a few small helmets in the tank for his urchin to carry around and he said it helped. He told me to reach out to @Porkenchop if I was looking to try something similar. Just an idea, but from what I have heard it’s bound to happen with an urchin on the prowl.
Those are great I reached out and I am going to give them a try.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like gus, I'd vote to keep him. He sounds like a gangsta. He be like "get the F out of my way imma go munch on some algaes" then when he sees a zoa he be like "hey girl wanna come ride wit' me for a lil bit aight?"

Plus ur GF is attached to him, and in this hobby we all know "happy girlfriend happy tank"

OP
OP
Sabra616

Sabra616

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to give an update the hat is working well! Gus has not quite figured out how to wear it. Thank you @Porkenchop for the hats they are a hit!

Attachments

• IMG-0880.jpg
    IMG-0880.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 78

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back