Ran across this.. anyone know if its true?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looking on WWC and I found this fish. I was like wait thats a big dotty back but then it seems to be a green wolf eel? Anyone know if their description is correct? Just curious since Ive never heard this before!

@ISpeakForTheSeas @vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal @Slocke @lion king

Do any if you guys know?? Looking on google I havnt seen this referred to as a dottyback either from other sources

IMG_3088.png IMG_3087.png

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s taxonomically a dottyback that looks like an eel often called the green wolf eel. A good example of convergent evolution.

To be honest I’ve never understood why they are in the hobby as they are very aggressive like other dottybacks but aren’t all that pretty when compared to true eels.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looking on WWC and I found this fish. I was like wait thats a big dotty back but then it seems to be a green wolf eel? Anyone know if their description is correct? Just curious since Ive never heard this before!

@ISpeakForTheSeas @vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal @Slocke @lion king

Do any if you guys know?? Looking on google I havnt seen this referred to as a dottyback either from other sources
Slocke beat me to it - it’s a species from the dottyback family (Pseudochromidae), but it’s known as the green wolf eel, eel blenny, etc.

The common name is misleading, but scientifically/taxonomically speaking it’s a dottyback.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slocke beat me to it - it’s a species from the dottyback family (Pseudochromidae), but it’s known as the green wolf eel, eel blenny, etc.

The common name is misleading, but scientifically/taxonomically speaking it’s a dottyback.
It’s taxonomically a dottyback that looks like an eel often called the green wolf eel. A good example of convergent evolution.

To be honest I’ve never understood why they are in the hobby as they are very aggressive like other dottybacks but aren’t all that pretty when compared to true eels.
Huh thats really strange! I think its super cool actually! But eels are way prettier

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh thats really strange! I think its super cool actually! But eels are way prettier
Oh they are fun to watch but do you really want a fish that will kill all its other tank mates and needs a 125 gallon tank minimum.

Also they bite

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh they are fun to watch but do you really want a fish that will kill all its other tank mates and needs a 125 gallon tank minimum.

Also they bite
I know it’s a bit off topic here, but do you think one of these could live in a tank with an undulate triggerfish? I’d assume one would kill the other, but I figured I’d ask regardless.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also they bite
Lol maybe when I updgrade Ill get one for mine! Probably not but I dunno

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s a bit off topic here, but do you think one of these could live in a tank with an undulate triggerfish? I’d assume one would kill the other, but I figured I’d ask regardless.

They are fine with large aggessive fish, maybe even aggressive medium sized fish, in an appropriate sized tank. Most people tend to keep them in tanks too small with inappropriate tank mates, and it becomes a murder tank.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no worries I was curious too!! I love those triggers. Dream fish for sure when I can get a tank for him and just him!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back