Snake eel???

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My banded struggles to eat a tiny piece of salmon and can’t gets its jaws around my finger. Saying that they have a lot of variation but are also terrible at hunting fish.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The small fish I would have with a ribbon is a dwarf angel, bi color blenny, clown goby, mandarin, and a juv dottyback. Both the clown goby and bi color blenny live in the wavemaker, and my dotty back lives in a cave with one of my triggers. My clown trigger is a juvenile and I really really dont want her eaten!
Mandarins have a slime coat that predatory fish hate. Clown goby, might make a quick snack for any eel. Dottyback is a tough one to figure out. As the old saying goes, "if it fits in the fishes mouth, it's food."

My banded struggles to eat a tiny piece of salmon and can’t gets its jaws around my finger. Saying that they have a lot of variation but are also terrible at hunting fish.

This applies to the ribbons I've had. They prefer slices as they can't rip things apart. At least, none of mine could.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins have a slime coat that predatory fish hate. Clown goby, might make a quick snack for any eel. Dottyback is a tough one to figure out. As the old saying goes, "if it fits in the fishes mouth, it's food."

This applies to the ribbons I've had. They prefer slices as they can't rip things apart. At least, none of mine could.
So as for someone who has never kept an eel before which would you guys recommend between a ribbon and a banded snake eel? I dont want to take the risk with other morays like snowflake and stuff that have a very high likelyhood of eating my fish!!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as for someone who has never kept an eel before which would you guys recommend between a ribbon and a banded snake eel? I dont want to take the risk with other morays like snowflake and stuff that have a very high likelyhood of eating my fish!!
You’re asking two people who have never had the others eel. My guess is they are very similar with the exception that one likes little fish the other little shrimp.

There are also engineer gobies and I’ve never heard of someone losing a fish to a zebra moray.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You’re asking two people who have never had the others eel. My guess is they are very similar with the exception that one likes little fish the other little shrimp.

There are also engineer gobies and I’ve never heard of someone losing a fish to a zebra moray.
Snake eel looks really cool though!
That would get people to jump out of their socks.

I never kept a snake eel, i love the look of them. Since you're worried about fish and not shrimps, snake would be the safer bet.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20230715_132342.jpg
Bad pics, but shows I have bite size morsals with my ribbon.

Attachments

• 20230630_103837.jpg
    20230630_103837.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh gotcha! Misread I thought you said you had a ribbon too. And yes I have an engineer in my other tank actually!
Snake eel looks really cool though!
That would get people to jump out of their socks.

I never kept a snake eel, i love the look of them. Since you're worried about fish and not shrimps, snake would be the safer bet.
And gotcha, Im leaning towards the snake eel as well for that reason. Your ribbon is beautiful!!!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s a good size then probably not. I can’t guarantee of course. Mine couldn’t but it’s a particularly small mouthed one.
Yeah she is a fair sized one! I like the banded one for sure, super cool and thin!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah she is a fair sized one! I like the banded one for sure, super cool and thin!
@Slocke as far as interacting with them and handling them, you mentioned that they were more interactive than morays? How so?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Slocke as far as interacting with them and handling them, you mentioned that they were more interactive than morays? How so?
You can let them swim through your fingers and lightly stroke them without worrying about being bitten. Also with the banded I feel comfortable hand feeding

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back