Snake eel???

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Slocke @lion king

Ive been researching eels as I want to add one to my predator tank or my bigger tank way down the road. Ive read a few of your posts and was just curious what you guys thought about them as far as being fish safe?? I know @Slocke had a post that was saying the banded snake eel seemed more mild and was thinner. Thats the one that caught my eye! Just wondering what you guys thought of adding it to one of my tanks? Both have some smaller fish (mandarin being the smallest) in my predator and in my big tank a dotty back is my smallest (she has a really small crevasse she hides in!). Also curious about what they eat and if they are hard to get trained on frozen? Just seems like there isnt as much info about them in aquariums as there is about morays!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Slocke @lion king

Ive been researching eels as I want to add one to my predator tank or my bigger tank way down the road. Ive read a few of your posts and was just curious what you guys thought about them as far as being fish safe?? I know @Slocke had a post that was saying the banded snake eel seemed more mild and was thinner. Thats the one that caught my eye! Just wondering what you guys thought of adding it to one of my tanks? Both have some smaller fish (mandarin being the smallest) in my predator and in my big tank a dotty back is my smallest (she has a really small crevasse she hides in!). Also curious about what they eat and if they are hard to get trained on frozen? Just seems like there isnt as much info about them in aquariums as there is about morays!
I do like them but people have mixed success with them. Read through this and ask me anything you want:

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like them but people have mixed success with them. Read through this and ask me anything you want:
Ah okay! Yes I did read this! Good info. Which eel would you recommend for a community tank, a moray (looking at chain link) or a snake eel?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah okay! Yes I did read this! Good info. Which eel would you recommend for a community tank, a moray (looking at chain link) or a snake eel?
Any inverts? Tank sizes?
The care is very similar though the chainlink will be easier. If you train a snake onto dead food in a separate tank they are a lot easier to get eating. I think they are pretty fish safe because they are so blind and I imagine a mandarin would be safe since they use smell to find food (mandarins smell toxic).
I love having a snake in my community but be aware they are not out most of the time. I have a small lionfish and my bigger snake bumps into it constantly with no issues on either side.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any inverts? Tank sizes?
The care is very similar though the chainlink will be easier. If you train a snake onto dead food in a separate tank they are a lot easier to get eating. I think they are pretty fish safe because they are so blind and I imagine a mandarin would be safe since they use smell to find food (mandarins smell toxic).
I love having a snake in my community but be aware they are not out most of the time. I have a small lionfish and my bigger snake bumps into it constantly with no issues on either side.

The tank I want to put the snake eel in is a 125 six foot long tank. Inverts are tiger conches, hermits, two snails, an arrow crab, and one single emerald crab who has found a very small crack he likes. Ive got two triggers so I cant really add any other inverts. Other fish are tangs, a regal angel (currently in QT) 2 triggers, saddleback butterfly, 2 adult clowns, and foxface! Ive got blennies, a clown goby (who lives in my wave maker with a bi color blenny) a mandarin, dottyback and a dwarf angel of some kind, got sent to me from an order on accident!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s quite the collection!
Mine are also in a 125. The hermits and crab may be eaten so I suggest urchins and brittle stars. Though Mexican turbos do well for me. Blennies and clown goby worry me a little too.
Picture of the unknown angel?

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s quite the collection!
Mine are also in a 125. The hermits and crab may be eaten so I suggest urchins and brittle stars. Though Mexican turbos do well for me. Blennies and clown goby worry me a little too.
Picture of the unknown angel?
My blenny and clown goby live in the wave maker, so they got some shelter. Also ordered them a barnical! This is the unknown angel based on searches to fit what he looks like. He is too fast to get a picture of but Im 99% sure this is what he is:

Attachments

• CD168200-3682-4911-9791-31E7C1728336.png
    CD168200-3682-4911-9791-31E7C1728336.png
    490.8 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blenny and clown goby live in the wave maker, so they got some shelter. Also ordered them a barnical! This is the unknown angel based on searches to fit what he looks like. He is too fast to get a picture of but Im 99% sure this is what he is:
Do you think a snake eel would be a good edition? Would be the last fish. I really like how thin the banded snake eel is

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you get some PVC pipes in your tank?
I had few issues getting mine to eat but it will need some TLC to begin with and possibly for a while. It may also be hard to find. Easier to find is a ribbon eel which is also cool and skinny but about as difficult.
Whatever you go with training it to eat in QT will make your life easier. Though it will not do well in copper.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you get some PVC pipes in your tank?
I had few issues getting mine to eat but it will need some TLC to begin with and possibly for a while. It may also be hard to find. Easier to find is a ribbon eel which is also cool and skinny but about as difficult.
Whatever you go with training it to eat in QT will make your life easier. Though it will not do well in copper.
I do have a QT I could set up for one! And yes I do think I can get some pipes in there for one. And I didnt realize they were as hard as ribbon eels, I would love a blue or black ribbon eel! If they are the same difficulty I might just go for one of the ribbons, from what I read they are as “safe” as an eel could be with fish and inverts right? Everything just says they die in the first month thats why I never looked for a ribbon

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a QT I could set up for one! And yes I do think I can get some pipes in there for one. And I didnt realize they were as hard as ribbon eels, I would love a blue or black ribbon eel! If they are the same difficulty I might just go for one of the ribbons, from what I read they are as “safe” as an eel could be with fish and inverts right? Everything just says they die in the first month thats why I never looked for a ribbon
Yes the issue is that they are sometimes collected with cyanide and die within the first weeks or that they don't eat but I know @Goaway has had a lot of success.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the issue is that they are sometimes collected with cyanide and die within the first weeks or that they don't eat but I know @Goaway has had a lot of success.
Oh no! Thats terrible. I would have to get one online; no LFS carries eels near me! Is there any site you know of that would be okay to get an eel from?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe Goaway knows but I would consider asking Dr Reef for a special order. Also divers den sometimes has them and I have actually gotten good fish from the Wisconsin facility. Not sure if they still QT at divers den though.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe Goaway knows but I would consider asking Dr Reef for a special order. Also divers den sometimes has them and I have actually gotten good fish from the Wisconsin facility. Not sure if they still QT at divers den though.
What are the temperaments like between the two?? Not a lot of info on this specifically, more just general aggressive or semi aggressive labels

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the temperaments like between the two?? Not a lot of info on this specifically, more just general aggressive or semi aggressive labels
I think I want a snake eel more since the banded is more of an invert eater and the ribbon is a fish eater

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My banded is very placid while my Goldspotted can go a little crazy. I don’t know mich about ribbons but they seem to be quite peaceful except to mollies.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh no! Thats terrible. I would have to get one online; no LFS carries eels near me! Is there any site you know of that would be okay to get an eel from?
@Eric Cohen Sold me my last one. Ribbons do very well with some pvc and isolation for the first few weeks to get them comfortable enough to eat.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I want a snake eel more since the banded is more of an invert eater and the ribbon is a fish eater
I have kept many slender types of reef fish with my ribbons. Molly's really seem to get their interest. I have had a firefish with my current ribbon eel now for a year. I have 3 wrasses whom are never looked upon.

1 black molly, who also is still alive... Sadly.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept many slender types of reef fish with my ribbons. Molly's really seem to get their interest. I have had a firefish with my current ribbon eel now for a year. I have 3 wrasses whom are never looked upon.

1 black molly, who also is still alive... Sadly.
The small fish I would have with a ribbon is a dwarf angel, bi color blenny, clown goby, mandarin, and a juv dottyback. Both the clown goby and bi color blenny live in the wavemaker, and my dotty back lives in a cave with one of my triggers. My clown trigger is a juvenile and I really really dont want her eaten!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back