Ranco controller

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I purchased a ranco controller based on reviews here and elsewhere. I purchased the etc-111000-000. I hope it's the correct one. I emailed the supplier about the temp probe that ranco uses, they said it's not suitable for use in liquids and a "well" must be used. Did I get the wrong controller? Sucks because I ordered 2 and 2 backup temp probes. What is this well they are referring too and how do I make it. Will my temp accuracy be off due to the heat sink effect? Thanks in advance

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the biggest problem with InkBird and Ranco's....you need a waterproof probe....no big deal. Folks who have had problems, it is because they aren't using a waterproof probe. And yes, you got a good controller. I haven't used a Ranco or InkBird in years so don't have a recommendation for a probe. Maybe #reefsquad can help here.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I purchased a ranco controller based on reviews here and elsewhere. I purchased the etc-111000-000. I hope it's the correct one. I emailed the supplier about the temp probe that ranco uses, they said it's not suitable for use in liquids and a "well" must be used. Did I get the wrong controller? Sucks because I ordered 2 and 2 backup temp probes. What is this well they are referring too and how do I make it. Will my temp accuracy be off due to the heat sink effect? Thanks in advance

Here you go:

Read the instructions.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s unfortunate. I bought the pre-wired version from rancoetc.com and they have an option for a probe sleeve for a couple of extra $.

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the Rancos on my large tanks for 15+ years and have never had a problem using them without a well (never knew I needed them). Super accurate and easy to use. Now that I have fewer tanks I use them on all my tanks ranging from 120 to 25 gallons.

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I chose the ranco vs inkbird. I do use a diy inkbird for my 170 but it was a pain to make, blah, blah, blah. It works great but the probe that comes with the inkbird(stainless) is not suitable for saltwater, according to inkbird. They did send me a new plastic probe for free but it required a change to my diy box. It's been running for 2 years and keeps good temp. I wanted something sturdy and a real commercial duty product makes me feel better.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I chose the ranco vs inkbird. I do use a diy inkbird for my 170 but it was a pain to make, blah, blah, blah. It works great but the probe that comes with the inkbird(stainless) is not suitable for saltwater, according to inkbird. They did send me a new plastic probe for free but it required a change to my diy box. It's been running for 2 years and keeps good temp. I wanted something sturdy and a real commercial duty product makes me feel better.

Put a thin layer of silicone on that SS probe and it is good to go.

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an issue with the stainless probe, i had to keep changing the offset for it to maintain temp, an email to inkbird told me that the stainless is not for saltwater use. The plastic probe they sent has been trouble free for 2 years

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone link to the ranco that has the probe ready for water not requiring this wrap?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy enough to make your own well out of some vinyl hose and a bit of silicone sealant.

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased the recommended "well" hose, it's just a shrink wrap of sorts. I think the one ready to go is around $100

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone link to the ranco that has the probe ready for water not requiring this wrap?
AquaLogic makes a controller that is the Ranco with a titanium probe. A bit pricey, but if you do not want to deal with the well.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaLogic makes a controller that is the Ranco with a titanium probe. A bit pricey, but if you do not want to deal with the well.

That is the temp controller that I got with my Aqualogic Chiller, only difference is mine is the two stage unit.

This one
tc12_tr115dn_.jpg

One plug for a chiller and another for a heater. I got it for free when I bought the chiller.
It's a bit bulky but it works great.

BTW that price on Amazon is a RIP! Try Marine Depot.
Aqua Logic Marine Depot

Last edited:

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a picture or description of how much of the probe is shrink wrapped? I just ordered a ranco controller off amazon and a pre-waterproofed probe was not an option.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread, but I felt the need to add to it. The Ranco is a more superior temp controller then the Inkbird will EVER be.
I purchased 2 Inkbird 306a's (dual heat controllers w/dual plastic coated probes) I went directly to Inkbird re: fluctuating temps, after calibration they swing up to 2 degrees different within an hour. Got the "song and dance" from Inkbird "send pics, send videos, rinse & repeat over a 2 week time. I took BOTH to friends of mine at University Of Minnesota's science labs for them to calibrate - after 4 hours there - they said replace or toss these, they are pretty worthless for any accurate readings. They suspect Inkbird tests their controllers in oil not water and their controllers will not stay in sync with temp changes in water. Just an FYI for anyone considering Inkbirds.

For temp controllers with metal probes, instead of heat-shrink you can use "Plasti-dip" the same stuff you dip tools in to plastic coat handles.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread, but I felt the need to add to it. The Ranco is a more superior temp controller then the Inkbird will EVER be.
I purchased 2 Inkbird 306a's (dual heat controllers w/dual plastic coated probes) I went directly to Inkbird re: fluctuating temps, after calibration they swing up to 2 degrees different within an hour. Got the "song and dance" from Inkbird "send pics, send videos, rinse & repeat over a 2 week time. I took BOTH to friends of mine at University Of Minnesota's science labs for them to calibrate - after 4 hours there - they said replace or toss these, they are pretty worthless for any accurate readings. They suspect Inkbird tests their controllers in oil not water and their controllers will not stay in sync with temp changes in water. Just an FYI for anyone considering Inkbirds.

For temp controllers with metal probes, instead of heat-shrink you can use "Plasti-dip" the same stuff you dip tools in to plastic coat handles.

I had nothing but issues with the Inkbirds I had. Each would drift to the point i couldn't calibrate them anymore. Became useless.

Your mileage may vary.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loving the BayIte temp controllers. Much better than inkbird, but need to silicone probe.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back