0   0   0
Aqualogic FTW.

20220917_130436.jpg

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome!! Can you send me a picture of your whole setup? How did you tie them in with your apex?
Absolutely! You can see my setup in my build thread here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/codys-153-gallon-ctc-custom-build-with-basement-sump-room.915426/.

I use two Aqualogic controllers and I used Y-splitter power cords to plug two BRS titanium heating elements (one 200 watt and one 300 watt) into each controller so I have a total of 4 heating elements. I set both controllers to the same temperature and let the controllers control the heating elements. Each controller is plugged into a seperate Apex energy bar and each energy bar is plugged into a different 20 amp circuit. The Apex is only set to turn off the Aqualogic controllers if the temperature gets way too high. With this setup I have maximum redundancy. If a heating element fails I have 3 others, if an Aqualogic fails I have a second one running 2 elements, if an energy bar fails I have a second controller on a seperate energy bar running 2 elements, even if the one whole circuit in my house trips I still have 500 watts of heat.

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Absolutely! You can see my setup in my build thread here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/codys-153-gallon-ctc-custom-build-with-basement-sump-room.915426/.

I use two Aqualogic controllers and I used Y-splitter power cords to plug two BRS titanium heating elements (one 200 watt and one 300 watt) into each controller so I have a total of 4 heating elements. I set both controllers to the same temperature and let the controllers control the heating elements. Each controller is plugged into a seperate Apex energy bar and each energy bar is plugged into a different 20 amp circuit. The Apex is only set to turn off the Aqualogic controllers if the temperature gets way too high. With this setup I have maximum redundancy. If a heating element fails I have 3 others, if an Aqualogic fails I have a second one running 2 elements, if an energy bar fails I have a second controller on a seperate energy bar running 2 elements, even if the one whole circuit in my house trips I still have 500 watts of heat.
I've heard of some others who have the apex set to cycle the 2 sets of heaters at half a day each to maximize their lifespan.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do something simular but do not have them hooked up to a controller and I have a primary and secondary Ranco. The secondary has a 2° differential instead of 1° on the primary.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, not sure what BRS is doing. They're not discontinued. I'm adding another one to my system so I have two to control each heater separately.

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have helios on three of my tanks. One of them has been running for almost 2 years. Zero issues with any of them except once when it was my fault and there wasn't enough water flow getting to the sensor

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%

Back