Random Algea took over everything

Slayyyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20211128_145102.jpg

So after being away for a little over a week and came back to this and have no idea what's wrong all my parameters are stable had this algea a little bit ago but it went away on its own. I only have snails who don't touch it and a small gsp rock along with a skimmer that I turned off while away. Should I turn off the lights for a few days? Never had this bad of an issue!

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to tell you but your phosphates parameter is not ok…they are high and the algae is consuming them and feeding off of them…manually remove and lower your pho

OP
OP
Slayyyter

Slayyyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHA or green hair algae.

Water parameters?
Ph- 8.3
Calcium- 530
Magnesium-1200
Phosphate- undetectable
Nitrate- undetectable
Kh-12.1
Temp- 77.2
Sal- 1.025
Yes I'm aware the kh is rather high
Salifert test kits used for all but sal

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slayyyter

Slayyyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to tell you but your phosphates parameter is not ok…they are high and the algae is consuming them and feeding off of them…manually remove and lower your pho
If thats the case definitely looking into some phosguard that my lfs has

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to manually remove a lot of it before adding phosguard. Your 0 phosphates are more then likely high, it's just the algae is consuming them before you can test for them. Just like growing chaeto in your sump.

OP
OP
Slayyyter

Slayyyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to manually remove a lot of it before adding phosguard. Your 0 phosphates are more then likely high, it's just the algae is consuming them before you can test for them. Just like growing chaeto in your sump.
Haha forgot to mention this picture was taken after scrubbing and hand removal its just stuck on the rocks to the point where I could lift a rock when pulling the algae

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

theres still time left in 2021 to make the top rip clean we've ever seen, its designed just for your issue btw. those are the top six. beat them, be even cleaner than they were. their reassembled tanks looked empty, with floating fish, rinse cleaner than that for the documented win and a year of backpats/retrolinks by yours truly. measuring anything is hesitation, ID'ing anything is hesitation, that thread above is antihesitation antimatter. dont seek to kill that much mass and absorb it into the tank, its a chemical soup in the making.

our way? purest water your reef can produce.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly how sharp are the after pics, and Gator's one year post rip update: answer, 10. :)

that reef looks pretty big above, might be some real work involved. that'll just make the after pics all that much more savory to have seized upon by sheer will of force.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60 gallon is pretty big, anticipating the reasons large tankers opt to keep the invasion vs snap it into compliance: too hard, too costly to score and hold 60 gallons of heated and prepped water for the final build.

creative option: drain off 40 gallons there into holding, for re use, added to a mere 20 gallons of new water. forty gallons of your old water goes back in for the B- rip clean option, still better than any doser you could add.

you can't save all of it, that water will start to cloud up by the last 1/4th but if you really want a fixed tank with that much eutrophic mass anything shy of a rip clean rots that mass into your tank and brings cyano by valentines day.

OP
OP
Slayyyter

Slayyyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60 gallon is pretty big, anticipating the reasons large tankers opt to keep the invasion vs snap it into compliance: too hard, too costly to score and hold 60 gallons of heated and prepped water for the final build.

creative option: drain off 40 gallons there into holding, for re use, added to a mere 20 gallons of new water. forty gallons of your old water goes back in for the B- rip clean option, still better than any doser you could add.

you can't save all of it, that water will start to cloud up by the last 1/4th but if you really want a fixed tank with that much eutrophic mass anything shy of a rip clean rots that mass into your tank and brings cyano by valentines day.
Not quite ready for another tear down as I've already done that twice this year one the creative way and one not haha rip but I see what your saying

OP
OP
Slayyyter

Slayyyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: got some phosguard and added it to my canister filter so we'll see how it goes. I will try to see if it's weaker now that Phosphate is being removed and try and remove a bunch

OP
OP
Slayyyter

Slayyyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 2: the phosguard was able to somewhat losen the algea so I was able to pull a crap ton off
20211205_112615.jpg
20211205_112705.jpg

Back