Random Flow Generator- 3/4in RFG075 - Q&A

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are going to start a series of threads that each feature one of our Random Flow Generator nozzles. These threads will give you an opportunity to ask questions and get answers regarding specific RFG nozzles.

To get us started, here are a few videos that show the 3/4in RFG in action.

A trio of 3/4in RFGs plumbed inline
Check out that pulsing action. The RFG nozzle is the only random flow device that can do that with NO moving parts.

High-flow Demo
The 3/4in RFG Nozzles at approx 920-940 GPH

Information
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/shop/34in-random-flow-generator-rfg075/

Flow recommendations
The RFG Nozzle will handle far more flow than the "Optimal" GPH recommendations, so we encourage you to experiment and test the limits of the RFG Nozzles.

Minimum GPH / Suggested Optimal GPH
Single 3/4in RFG - 180-200 / 420-500
Two 3/4in RFGs - 400-500 / 700-800

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is another requested flow demo - this time it's a comparison between the 3/4in RFG and the 1/2in RFG at 300 GPH.

300 GPH is just above the lowest recommended GPH for the 3/4in RFG,
300 GPH is right in the middle of the Optimal Suggested GPH for the of the 1/2in

The video clearly shows the benefits of the 1/2in at this flow level over the 3/4in RFG. If your return pump is near the low end of the GPH requirement for the 3/4in, you may consider stepping down to the 1/2in RFG for better results

RFG050 - 1/2in RFG
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/shop/12in-random-flow-generator-rfg050/

RFG075 - 3/4in RFG
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/shop/34in-random-flow-generator-rfg075/

2CC's

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really intrigued by these. I would value your advice in helping me to decide a successful implementation of these in my tank.

I have a peninsula sytle 36x18x24 (h) 55 gallon mixed reef with a 25 gallon cheato and a 25 gallon frag tank plumbed in-line behind the wall next to the DT. The only circulation is from an Iwaki MD55 (Hi-head) return pump plumbed through a 4 way Oceans Motion flow director that has a revolving drum that alternates the return down 2 of 4 possible 3/4" return lines - switching to the other two lines every 30 seconds. These line terminate in loc-line fittings above the 4 corners on the tank (inside the canopy). I have actual measured flow of 840 gpm - split down the two lines (420 each). But while the flow out the pump is constant, the actual flow down each return line after the OM will go from 0 -420-0 gpm every 30 seconds and will overlap with the other two lines(the rotating drum inside the OM is configured to route the flow down two opposite lines at a time). So at some point midway in its revolution the flow is equal down all 4 lines (210 gym each). I do have the option of swapping out the rotating drum to only route the flow down 1 quadrant at time. The current flow setup has two opposing flares that bounce off the side glass and two flares that flow the water in a circular flow around the tank (back nozzle is pointing right across the back of the tank, the other is pointing left across the front of the tank.

I know it's old school but these two pieces of my system set a standard of dependability that does not seem to be that common with today's in-tank flow generators. The Iwaki and OM have been running for 8 years with nothing more than a once a year cleaning. I am looking to enhance the flow a bit. Should I go with 4 of the 1/2" RFG's that would have flow of 0-420 down two quarters at a time? Or swap out the double line drum for the single quarter drum and fit each quadrant with 3/4" RFG's. I have tried standard eductors in the past but the flow was to laminar even when distributed down the current setup of two lines at a time. I do have fine sand that will blow around. I have minimal rockwork and will only house softies and some easy to keep LPS.

A few pics of my setup
36x18x24.jpg
Return Lines.jpg
Tank to Sump.jpg
Sump Return Plumbing.jpg

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really intrigued by these. I would value your advice in helping me to decide a successful implementation of these in my tank.

I have a peninsula sytle 36x18x24 (h) 55 gallon mixed reef with a 25 gallon cheato and a 25 gallon frag tank plumbed in-line behind the wall next to the DT. The only circulation is from an Iwaki MD55 (Hi-head) return pump plumbed through a 4 way Oceans Motion flow director that has a revolving drum that alternates the return down 2 of 4 possible 3/4" return lines - switching to the other two lines every 30 seconds. These line terminate in loc-line fittings above the 4 corners on the tank (inside the canopy). I have actual measured flow of 840 gpm - split down the two lines (420 each). But while the flow out the pump is constant, the actual flow down each return line after the OM will go from 0 -420-0 gpm every 30 seconds and will overlap with the other two lines(the rotating drum inside the OM is configured to route the flow down two opposite lines at a time). So at some point midway in its revolution the flow is equal down all 4 lines (210 gym each). I do have the option of swapping out the rotating drum to only route the flow down 1 quadrant at time. The current flow setup has two opposing flares that bounce off the side glass and two flares that flow the water in a circular flow around the tank (back nozzle is pointing right across the back of the tank, the other is pointing left across the front of the tank.

I know it's old school but these two pieces of my system set a standard of dependability that does not seem to be that common with today's in-tank flow generators. The Iwaki and OM have been running for 8 years with nothing more than a once a year cleaning. I am looking to enhance the flow a bit. Should I go with 4 of the 1/2" RFG's that would have flow of 0-420 down two quarters at a time? Or swap out the double line drum for the single quarter drum and fit each quadrant with 3/4" RFG's. I have tried standard eductors in the past but the flow was to laminar even when distributed down the current setup of two lines at a time. I do have fine sand that will blow around. I have minimal rockwork and will only house softies and some easy to keep LPS.

A few pics of my setup
36x18x24.jpg
Return Lines.jpg
Tank to Sump.jpg
Sump Return Plumbing.jpg

Very interesting setup. I think the RFGs would be a good choice to create some additional dimension to the flow in this tank.

At 420 GPH, the 1/2in RFG produces a great amount of movement and flow since 420GPH, is right at the "sweet spot" for this nozzles. I think i would suggest the 1/2in RFG over the 3/4in in this case, since it would take up less room and push the water a bit further in the tank than the 3/4in would at that GPH.

the 3/4in on the other hand would create a more gentle but wider flow pattern, but may not produce the amount of movement you need given that the flow to each nozzle is intermittent. Because of the way the RFG changes the direction of the bulk of the water exciting the nozzles in random directions, it does tend to defuse the flow. So over time this works, but in short bursts (30 seconds on/30 seconds off), it might defuse it too much.

I do have few questions however:
  1. when the flow switches does it have a moment of ramp up, or is it literally 0 to 420gpgh in a matter of seconds?
  2. is the tank currently plumbed with 3/4in loc-line or 1/2in loc-line? it looks like 3/4in in but it's hard to tell for sure.

CPT Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought four of the 3/4" and I cant seem to connect them to the loc-line. Is there special trick to this?

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought four of the 3/4" and I cant seem to connect them to the loc-line. Is there special trick to this?
If they do not snap on the modular hose, but still fit over it, it is most likely not genuine loc-line, but rather a non-loc-line brand of modular hose. The most common 3/4in modular hose (behind Loc-line) is Snaploc.

They look very similar but are different enough that Loc-line and the RFG will not attach to the ball end.
Loc-line-Snaploc_2249.jpg

If you have the 27mm (3/4) snaploc modular hose, we do offer an adapter that converts the standard 3/4in RFG nozzle to the 3/4in snaploc
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/shop/27mm-snap-loc-to-3-4in-rfg-loc-line-adapter/

hope that helps

2CC's

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting setup. I think the RFGs would be a good choice to create some additional dimension to the flow in this tank.

At 420 GPH, the 1/2in RFG produces a great amount of movement and flow since 420GPH, is right at the "sweet spot" for this nozzles. I think i would suggest the 1/2in RFG over the 3/4in in this case, since it would take up less room and push the water a bit further in the tank than the 3/4in would at that GPH.

the 3/4in on the other hand would create a more gentle but wider flow pattern, but may not produce the amount of movement you need given that the flow to each nozzle is intermittent. Because of the way the RFG changes the direction of the bulk of the water exciting the nozzles in random directions, it does tend to defuse the flow. So over time this works, but in short bursts (30 seconds on/30 seconds off), it might defuse it too much.

I do have few questions however:
  1. when the flow switches does it have a moment of ramp up, or is it literally 0 to 420gpgh in a matter of seconds?
  2. is the tank currently plumbed with 3/4in loc-line or 1/2in loc-line? it looks like 3/4in in but it's hard to tell for sure.
Yes, the 1/2" seems the most logical. The switch in flow is ramp up /down - not necessarily perfect sinusoidal - the cut of the rotating drum is such that it ramps up a little quicker . Only when two returns are full open are the other two fully closed. So a more accurate flow number would be 20 seconds above 300 gph/return leg.
The pic below is a top down view of the Oceans Motions flow distributor. The line in is directly up the center from below. I do have the one port at a time replacement drum that would in effect send 800 gph down only one return at a time. I watched your video of the 1/2 & 3/4 RFG - and it did seem to me that the 3/4" produced a flow that was more pronounced off the opposing glass wall.

With all the focus on the random flow - I have not picked up on a number as to what percentage of additional eductor generated flow might one expect over and above the pump generated flow alone? Hard to quantify i'm sure.

Yes currently 3/4 Loc-Line.

When I used standard eductors prior, they needed a monthly soak to keep them glossy clean. Will snapping RFG's off and on the loc-line ball joints eventually wear the socket that they may not stay fixed in position ? I suspect the tolerances are already slightly larger than standard loc-line as I don't think one can readily snap loc-line apart without some tooling?

Like i said earlier - really intrigued by these.

OM.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should hold up to periodic removal for cleaning, plus they are designed to be easy to snap on an off, so no tool required.

With that said, one of the easiest wayd to clear the educators on the RFG of any debris, is to simply hold your hand over the front, forcing all the water out the back. This blows out just about anything that may get lodged inside. Including the occasionally stomatella snail :)

As far as how often they need to be cleaned will likely vary from tank to tank, but I know we have had a few in service for more than year at a local fish store that never needed to be removed for cleaning. As long as the educator openings are clear, it will continue to work and holding you hand over the front is usually enough to clear them.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in your RFG’s and have but one question. Do they produce any significant back pressure or head pressure?
They do create some back pressure, as does any educator style nozzle. The RFG can create anywhere from 5% head loss at the lower end of our suggested flow rates to as much as 20% head loss when you go over our suggested Optimal flow rates.

With that said, the RFG nozzle does make up for that in terms of flow and water movement because of the way they work. Although they are not designed to work as an accelerator , they do draw in additional water volume through the educators and spread out the flow in such a way they move a larger volume of water than what is fed into it.

Hope that helps, and if you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

2CC's

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should hold up to periodic removal for cleaning, plus they are designed to be easy to snap on an off, so no tool required.

With that said, one of the easiest wayd to clear the educators on the RFG of any debris, is to simply hold your hand over the front, forcing all the water out the back. This blows out just about anything that may get lodged inside. Including the occasionally stomatella snail :)

As far as how often they need to be cleaned will likely vary from tank to tank, but I know we have had a few in service for more than year at a local fish store that never needed to be removed for cleaning. As long as the educator openings are clear, it will continue to work and holding you hand over the front is usually enough to clear them.
Just ordered 4 of the 1/2" and 4 of 3/4" to 1/2" locline adaptors

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'd be cool if there was a clean way for me to get my RFG nozzle positioned directly in the center of my overflow on my Reefer Nano rather than off to the side. I am able to get really good flow with just one 1/2" nozzle but it's a little stronger on one side of the tank. If I were able to aim it straight ahead right in the middle it would resolve this. Perhaps an extended Red Sea adapter? An extended adapter would be great on all Red Sea tanks regardless of size. Double RFGs would be less of a contraption. I suppose some Loc Line elbows would work, but keeping it as tight along the back as possible would be nicer looking.

Alfredo.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, hope I can still ask here on this old post, Could you please advice me in which model to chose for my Fluval Sea evo? I still have the stock pump that I believe is around 300gph or maybe less, what model of your RFG for my tank should I use? Thank you for your reply.

Alfredo.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, hope I can still ask here on this old post, Could you please advice me in which model to chose for my Fluval Sea evo? I still have the stock pump that I believe is around 300gph or maybe less, what would be the right model of RFG for my tank should I use? Thank you for your reply.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, hope I can still ask here on this old post, Could you please advice me in which model to chose for my Fluval Sea evo? I still have the stock pump that I believe is around 300gph or maybe less, what would be the right model of RFG for my tank should I use? Thank you for your reply.
Sure - for the Fluval Sea Evo tank, you would want to take a look at our 1/2in RFG Nozzle. A single nozzle will be enough but you'll need to add a few segments of 1/2in Loc-Line to ensure the nozzle sites below the water line.

The 300 GPH stock pump will also work, but a bigger pump certainly wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe something the 400- 500 GPH range. With a pump in that range, you may be able to flow the entire tank with just the RFG.

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What RFG fits a JBJ flat panel 65g AIO? Would you recommend an extender to allow the RFG to be aimed differently (than factory straight forward) orientation? I'll be using a MIGHTYJET MIDSIZE AIO DC RETURN PUMP (538 GPH) to drive the RFG...
Thanks

upload_2019-2-21_7-41-16.png

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What RFG fits a JBJ flat panel 65g AIO? Would you recommend an extender to allow the RFG to be aimed differently (than factory straight forward) orientation? I'll be using a MIGHTYJET MIDSIZE AIO DC RETURN PUMP (538 GPH) to drive the RFG...
Thanks

upload_2019-2-21_7-41-16.png
you may be able to attach genuine loc-line the stock fittings. it can be a bit hit and miss, but it does work sometimes. Then you can attach the 1/2in RFG to the loc-line.

A better option would be to use the our 19mm to 1/2in RFG slip-fit-drop adapters to attach the 1/2ub RFGs to the tank. if you want more ability to angle it, you can also attach 2 to 3 segments of Loc-Line to the drop adapters. However, you may not need it, since ehte RFGs will pulse/push flow in random directions at about a 30 degree angle from the tip of the nozzle.

The pump you have chosen should do really well with the dual 1/2in RFGs.
With that said, If after you get it setup, you want even more randomized flow, each 1/2in RFGs can easily handle as much flow as a single mightlyjet can create. The more flow you push through the RFG the more pronounced the randomized effect.

if additional questions, please let us know.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back