Random Flow Generators: How many of you use them?

How many of you are using or have used a VCA Random Flow Generator?

• I currently am using them

Votes: 240 36.8%
  • I have used them in the past

Votes: 47 7.2%
  • I have never used them

Votes: 241 37.0%
  • I am just now learning about them

Votes: 104 16.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 20 3.1%

• Total voters

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting to here back from the company, for larger ones to put on my closed loop system.
Let us know what you're looking for - I'm sure we have a size that will for what you need.

We have Random Flow Generator® Nozzles from the tiny little 1/4in all the way up to 2in models. The 2in can move some serious flow.

1629657156300.png

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3D printer so I don't really have a reason not to run them! They definitely do make the flow chaotic.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know what you're looking for - I'm sure we have a size that will for what you need.

We have Random Flow Generator® Nozzles from the tiny little 1/4in all the way up to 2in models. The 2in can move some serious flow.

1629657156300.png
I had emailed asking about 1.5 inch threaded to screw directly into the bulkheads, or a 1.5 inch threaded tee . butt you can see I have threaded bulkheads in my back wall, each return is powered by a jebao mcd10000, with about 4k gph flow.

Attachments

• 20210813_131421.mp4
    88 MB
  • 20210729_141235.jpg
    20210729_141235.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 25

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had emailed asking about 1.5 inch threaded to screw directly into the bulkheads, or a 1.5 inch threaded tee . butt you can see I have threaded bulkheads in my back wall, each return is powered by a jebao mcd10000, with about 4k gph flow.
i see - yeah, unfortunately we do not manufacture any threaded arts at that size. But, maybe something like this could work

then you could add a few of these with some section of pipe between then to connect them, and one section of pipe to attach the RFG to.

With two of these 45s, you could get full articulation

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i see - yeah, unfortunately we do not manufacture any threaded arts at that size. But, maybe something like this could work

then you could add a few of these with some section of pipe between then to connect them, and one section of pipe to attach the RFG to.

With two of these 45s, you could get full articulation
Yeah I understand that as an option but the asthetics of that would be ugly. Fine for a grow tank but not displays. As of now I'm running them with wide open which works ok. I'd really like to screw in nozzles directly to the bulkheads for minimal extension into the display while adding to the randomness of the flow coming out of each port. I have 4 return ports in this 8x3x2 400g

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Vivid Creative Aquatics If I were to use your 1-1/2” RFG and attach it straight off the bulkhead, how far under the surface of the water do you recommend that it should be installed so that it doesn’t suck in air or spray water everywhere? I plan on having 3000-3500 gph running through it.

Last edited:

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Vivid Creative Aquatics If I were to use your 1-1/2” RFG and attach it straight off the bulkhead, how far under the surface of the water do you recommend that it should be installed so that it doesn’t suck in air or spray water everywhere? I plan on having 3000-3500 gph running through it.
That's a tough one since there are few factors that may affect this

Assuming your have a distance of , say 2.75 to 3 feet from the tip of the RFG to the front glass, I would think you would be OK in terms of splashing out of the tank. Any less than that, and at the flow rate, then you run that risk. Of course this is assuming the nozzle is facing directly forward towards the glass.

If it less than that - you may need to be as much as 6 to 7 inches below the water line to avoid splashing - the 1.5in RFG is a big nozzle and it creates a BIG flow pattern

As far as being below the water line to avoid drawing in air, and blowing bubbles in you tank, If properly positioned, you should be able to maintain a depth of around 2.5 to 3 inches at that flow rate and be ok - keep in mind though, this will create heavy surface splashing at that depth with that flow rate.

When I say "Properly positioned", what I'm referring to this this particular case, is rotation of the RFG on the straight pipe. The example below is for modular hose, but item "B" is still valid in this scenario. Positioning properly will minimize the possibility of drawing in air, at closer distances to the surface.

Hopefully that answers your questions - if not, please feel free to to just give us a call and we'll be happy to help.

RFG-Installation-Guidlines-1.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back