Random Flow Generators: How many of you use them?

How many of you are using or have used a VCA Random Flow Generator?

• I currently am using them

Votes: 240 36.8%
  • I have used them in the past

Votes: 47 7.2%
  • I have never used them

Votes: 241 37.0%
  • I am just now learning about them

Votes: 104 16.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 20 3.1%

• Total voters

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked at them for my 2013 Red Sea S-400, but its recirculations pumps have to stay at a steady output to hold the downpipes water line. At that point would just be dealing with a directional swirling flow pattern.

Gyre type flow pumps are just a better fit, for the S-400's design.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These Random Flow Generators from Vivid Creative Aquatics are so affordable and effective I thought they deserved a QOTD feature! Plus we can talk about other ways to get random flow!

What are they? This is from the VCA website: "The Random Flow Generator® Nozzle. by Vivid Creative Aquatics can dramatically change the way water moves around your aquarium. With the RFG Nozzle you can produce a more natural flow pattern while also simplifying your flow solution. The RFG has not moving parts, which means it is reliable and durable in the harsh environmental conditions inside your reef tanks."

So let's talk about them and your experience!

1. How many of you are using or have used a VCA Random Flow Generator and what are your thoughts on them?

2. What other ways have you been able to accomplish "random flow" in your reef aquarium?

RFG075_2-pack.jpg
Would like to try one.

Jots

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These Random Flow Generators from Vivid Creative Aquatics are so affordable and effective I thought they deserved a QOTD feature! Plus we can talk about other ways to get random flow!

What are they? This is from the VCA website: "The Random Flow Generator® Nozzle. by Vivid Creative Aquatics can dramatically change the way water moves around your aquarium. With the RFG Nozzle you can produce a more natural flow pattern while also simplifying your flow solution. The RFG has not moving parts, which means it is reliable and durable in the harsh environmental conditions inside your reef tanks."

1. How many of you are using or have used a VCA Random Flow Generator and what are your thoughts on them?

2. What other ways have you been able to accomplish "random flow" in your reef aquarium?

RFG075_2-pack.jpg
I recently set up my 425 gal tank and using the VFG on 4 return lines. I have return pump at 70% and you can definitely see the random flow working as it should. I can really notice it on my green star polyp rock that I have on the gravel bottom as the extended polyps sway back and forth in alternate directions.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked at them for my 2013 Red Sea S-400, but its recirculations pumps have to stay at a steady output to hold the downpipes water line. At that point would just be dealing with a directional swirling flow pattern.

Gyre type flow pumps are just a better fit, for the S-400's design.
The small curcualtion pumps along the back wall of this tank area actually perfectly suited for a 1/2in RFG. The stock pump is aorund 400-450 GPH, which is right in the sweet spot, so to speak, of the 1/2iun RFG

We have a number of customers using only RFGs in their 550 and 650s

RSMLL050-RFG050-Instructions.jpg

fishhead1973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RFG075_2-pack.jpg
I got one two weeks ago it works good for the money

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take that back mine stopped working took it out and cleaned it still not right. Seems to stuck in one position help ideas
Just replyed to you in the other thread as well, but just in case anyone else is tryuign to solve a simiar issue, I'll repost this here:

if it was randomizing as expected, but then one day stopped, there are few things that can cause this. The main one is usually some sort of obstruction inside the RFG. Usually a small snail or other debris.

RFG-Installation-Guidlines-1.jpg

Other possibility could be flow rate - at lower flow rates, the RFG can be more sensitive to the angle it sits on the end of the Loc-line at. It might be helpful to clean the return pump to ensure it's delivering as much flow as it can.

if all else fails, reach out to us and we'll take a look and see if we can help.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 4 on my returns. 2 per return. Im powering them with a jeabo dcp20000 set at 70%. This is on my 180gal . I definitely see an improvement in flow, that said i have a cp40 on each side, sow20 in each back corner, and 2 slw-20 in the middle. All of these are on else mode.
Ive got decent flow needless to say.

On my current build, a 400g and 320g displays im setting up closed loops. Im going to have 2 3/4 or 1inch rfg nozzles on each return, powered by the new jeabo mcd10000 pumps. Those are wifi app controlled. 4 pumps, 8 nozzles.

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that these things definitely put out random flow but for 20$ you might want to invest in something else. Considering that they cost less than 30 cents to make i really think that they are over glorified for their potential. They can also drastically lower flow and without a strong pump are almost useless. So unless you can put a lot of flow through it, it might just not be worth it.

maw1000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that these things definitely put out random flow but for 20$ you might want to invest in something else. Considering that they cost less than 30 cents to make i really think that they are over glorified for their potential. They can also drastically lower flow and without a strong pump are almost useless. So unless you can put a lot of flow through it, it might just not be worth it.
I’m not sure if that’s a fair assessment of cost because you’re not including overhead that a company has. If you’re wanting to use these just make sure you read the requirements for flow to operate the nozzle. I have six of them on my 480 gallon tank and they work great. My tank is a softy tank so I do not require high flow like an SPS tank.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How did you figure there cost was less then 30 cents each?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you figure there cost was less then 30 cents each?
To add to this what's the cost to manufacture vs retail on any of the devices in your system. Your mp40 may cost 20.00 per unit to manufacture if done on a large enough scale. Does that lower the value of it?

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if that’s a fair assessment of cost because you’re not including overhead that a company has. If you’re wanting to use these just make sure you read the requirements for flow to operate the nozzle. I have six of them on my 480 gallon tank and they work great. My tank is a softy tank so I do not require high flow like an SPS tank.
It makes sense to make one yourself if you can. The company does have to make money, but especially sacrifice time since they don’t just mold them together. So it makes sense why they would be so expensive.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I can 3D print them myself. It might be a little more after electricity costs so in my book it’s a steal if you have a prinyer.

There is a little more cost to make something then the filament for a business to make something to sell.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @revhtree for the shutout today, and for making the Random Flow Generator® the subject of today pole. It was a little unexpected and a nice surprise.

I would encourage anyone interested in seeing a Random Flow Generator in action and how they might interact in their tank to visit the Random Flow Generator showoff thread here on route to reef. There are a lot of great examples of people using RFG

The RFG nozzle, if deployed properly, really does have a significant effect on water flow. Check out this video

And this video

We love seeing all the comments here, both positive and negative, and we encourage people to ask questions. In fact I'm here to answer any questions you may have. Obviously, we'd love to see a Random Flow Generator in every reef tank in the hobby, but we understand that may not be possible. But, our hope is that by answering any of your questions it can help you decide if your aquarium could benefit from a Random Flow Generator.

I should also note that we do make a whole family of adapters and fittings that allow you to attach an RFG nozzle to just about every tank on the market . You will also find the RFG Nozzle and many of the our fittings at all the major online retailers and possibly even your local fish store.

again, anybody has any questions at all please don't hesitate to ask .

Antonio….

love this product. Putting two on the 300 we are building. Also Antonio and all the people we met at VCA are super nice...

SJ701

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 3D printed a design i found and it certainly makes a significant difference, even with a stock AIO pump.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back