Randy’s 2 part question

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did recipe 1 for his alkalinity 2 part. I’ve been shaking gallon jug for a good half hour , and there’s a good amount of settlement on the bottom. After warming it up and not really getting anywhere with it, I dosed 1/2 dkh worth into the sump next to return pump. Few seconds later it looked like micro bubbles shot into the tank .

Cold have been micro bubbles , or undisolved baking soda. If it weee to be baking soda particles, I’m guessing they will dissolve in the tank? Most likely landed on some corals I would imagine

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did recipe 1 for his alkalinity 2 part. I’ve been shaking gallon jug for a good half hour , and there’s a good amount of settlement on the bottom. After warming it up and not really getting anywhere with it, I dosed 1/2 dkh worth into the sump next to return pump. Few seconds later it looked like micro bubbles shot into the tank .

Cold have been micro bubbles , or undisolved baking soda. If it weee to be baking soda particles, I’m guessing they will dissolve in the tank? Most likely landed on some corals I would imagine

How much baking soda did you add to a gallon of RO/DI water?

Should be 1 1/8 cup.

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2.25, the instructions I read in the article from randy said 2.25 of baked baking soda per gallon, unless something has changed for recipe 1

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed the part about recipe 1.

So baked baking soda. Got it.

I did this only once and had the same result. It took it a day to totally dissolve. Lots of shaking.

I had issues dosing it as slowly as I could as it would precipitate into my sump. No matter how slow I dosed it. It did cover everything in a coating of calcium.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did this only once and had the same result. It took it a day to totally dissolve. Lots of shaking.

I had issues dosing it as slowly as I could as it would precipitate into my sump. No matter how slow I dosed it. It did cover everything in a coating of calcium.

Unbaked baking soda will reduce that effect since it does not raise pH, as will higher flow through the sump.

Some transient precipitation and cloudiness from formation of magnesium hydroxide with any high pH additive is normal and not a problem.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2.25, the instructions I read in the article from randy said 2.25 of baked baking soda per gallon, unless something has changed for recipe 1

It is 2.25 cups before baking, not after. :)

"
Recipe #1, Part 2: The Alkalinity Part

Spread baking soda (594 grams or about 2 ¼ cups) on a baking tray and heat in an ordinary oven at 300°F for one hour to drive off water and carbon dioxide. Overheating is not a problem, either with higher temperatures or longer times. Dissolve the residual solid in enough water to make 1 gallon total. This dissolution may require a fair amount of mixing. Warming it speeds dissolution. This solution will contain about 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity (5,300 dKH). I prefer to use baked baking soda rather than washing soda in this recipe as baking soda from a grocery store is always food grade, while washing soda may not have the same purity requirements. Arm & Hammer brand is a fine choice. Be sure to NOT use baking powder. Baking powder is a different material that often has phosphate as a main ingredient."

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had this issue with recipe one. I usually take about 80% of the water, dump it in a plastic bowl, and microwave it for 3 minutes. After that, I start stirring in the baked baking soda gradually and transfer it to the storage container and top off the rest of the water.

Last edited:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, Randy I switched to recipe 2 baking soda years ago after these issues. Never any problems since.

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is 2.25 cups before baking, not after. :)

"
Recipe #1, Part 2: The Alkalinity Part

Spread baking soda (594 grams or about 2 ¼ cups) on a baking tray and heat in an ordinary oven at 300°F for one hour to drive off water and carbon dioxide. Overheating is not a problem, either with higher temperatures or longer times. Dissolve the residual solid in enough water to make 1 gallon total. This dissolution may require a fair amount of mixing. Warming it speeds dissolution. This solution will contain about 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity (5,300 dKH). I prefer to use baked baking soda rather than washing soda in this recipe as baking soda from a grocery store is always food grade, while washing soda may not have the same purity requirements. Arm & Hammer brand is a fine choice. Be sure to NOT use baking powder. Baking powder is a different material that often has phosphate as a main ingredient."

Right I measured 2.25 prior to baking on the baking sheet. Not sure how much was left after the hour in the oven.

Took that powder after cooling, funnel it into the gallon jug, and shook away. Placed the gallon container itself in hot sink water to warm it up.

Just curios, after baking, how much of the 2.25 should be remaining?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right I measured 2.25 prior to baking on the baking sheet. Not sure how much was left after the hour in the oven.

Took that powder after cooling, funnel it into the gallon jug, and shook away. Placed the gallon container itself in hot sink water to warm it up.

Just curios, after baking, how much of the 2.25 should be remaining?

I do not know the volume contraction. Mass drops by 37% when the process is fully complete.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back