Randy: Have you ever handled fluoroantimonic acid

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley

I was researching about strong acids and learned about the strongest acid in the world. Have you ever handle fluoroantimonic acid? Can you tell me some first hand experience you’ve had with it?

What are some “fun” things you get to do as a chemist? What are some of the most interesting chemicals you got to work with as a chemist? :)

(Yes, I know being a chemist is not fun and games, but I just want to see what it’s like from a perspective of someone that has the experience of being one. I’m sure we can all agree chemistry is very interesting)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#17- Randy told me a story about handling this acid when he was in college chem class. His lab partner was Chuck Norris, and Chuck rarely wore any gloves or goggles when he handled any weak acid. He took a deep drink from a gallon jug of fluoroantimonic acid and spit it into the test tube.

Randy wasn't there that day because if he was Chuck would have used the proper PPE because Chuck respects Randy Holmes-Farley, and so do I.
True Story, if you don't believe me you can ask him yourself.

https://www.facebook.com/officialchucknorrispage

Monkey Trickster GIF

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used that material, but I have used piranha solution, and extremely acidic oxidizing solution, to clean surfaces at the molecular level.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used that material, but I have used piranha solution, and extremely acidic oxidizing solution, to clean surfaces at the molecular level.

Wow. What type of protection did you need to use that?

I had chem lab a few days ago and we handled HCl (aq) to react with a magnesium ribbon. It was very interesting, but the professor did not supply gloves, and didn’t even warn us about not breathing it in etc.

We used HCl with our bare hands and a pipette. I was very surprised because I’ve researched about this acid before and know how strong it is.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. What type of protection did you need to use that?

I had chem lab a few days ago and we handled HCl (aq) to react with a magnesium ribbon. It was very interesting, but the professor did not supply gloves, and didn’t even warn us about not breathing it in etc.

We used HCl with our bare hands and a pipette. I was very surprised because I’ve researched about this acid before and know how strong it is.
Concentrated HCl will call for a fumehood. I suppose the one you use for mg reaction is very diluted.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#17- Randy told me a story about handling this acid when he was in college chem class. His lab partner was Chuck Norris, and Chuck rarely wore any gloves or goggles when he handled any weak acid. He took a deep drink from a gallon jug of fluoroantimonic acid and spit it into the test tube.

Randy wasn't there that day because if he was Chuck would have used the proper PPE because Chuck respects Randy Holmes-Farley, and so do I.
True Story, if you don't believe me you can ask him yourself.

https://www.facebook.com/officialchucknorrispage

Monkey Trickster GIF
I had heard that story but was skeptical about it. Now I know the truth.

Sully32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I work as a Radiochemist, and I regularly handle Hydrofluoric acid, Aqua Regia, 21N Fuming Nitric acid, and Piranha Solution. These are always handled in a fumehood. PPE consists of lab coat, one layer of gloves under the cuff, a second layer of gloves pulled over the cuff, safety glasses, faceshield, and depending on working time, a mask or respirator. Neutralizing agents are always kept nearby along with Calcium gluconate gel for skin contact with Hydrofluoric acid.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back