Randy: is microbacter 7 a scam?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your opinion on microbacter 7? A lot of people keep recommending this product for Dino’s and cyano. Does this actually have any effect on those organisms?

Slightly off topic: when people say dose phytoplankton to outcompete with Dinos/cyano, do they mean live or dead phyto? Is there actually a difference?

If I’m not mistaken, I don’t think phyto directly feeds/outcompetes with dinos etc. I think it feeds copepods which feed on Dino’s? But then, if copepods can feed off Dino’s then there wouldn’t be a purpose of dosing phyto?

I have a lot of gaps in my knowledge about this subject.
To be honest MB7 is not really for dinos although have some affect on some strains.

if you have Dinos ID it with microscope and get treatment based on it otherwise you are just experimenting

Ramdude4G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was battling cyano and dinos (osteoporosis) for several months. Bought a small reactor to run phosgaurd and carbon in, a uv sterilzer, and started dosing microbacter clean and 7 together as recommended and had them wiped out in just over a week. Ran out of the MB clean so had to go to vibrantt
finish them out. I will note that I removed all my sand at the beginning of the process. Removing the sand had no impact on my nutrients I’ve always had very low nitrates and elevated phosphates. Doing all this and dosing Microbacter Neonitrate and running the reactor for a couple days got my nutrients back in check and where they need to be. Tested last night and Nitr at 18.4 and Phos at .06. So as for me yes I’m a believer in the Microbacter products. The videos won’t upload. Says too large.

Attachments

• E556F8BA-A12C-47D0-8325-2BF6B20AD025.jpeg
    E556F8BA-A12C-47D0-8325-2BF6B20AD025.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 36

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always like to have a backup, just in case.
It’s hardly a backup if you don’t know it works and have never used it previously.

not sure why you asked if it’s worth looking for if you want it as a ‘backup’, seems you already had your answer.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not seen any change by dosing MB-7

Dosing live Phytoplankton has done a great job in past experiences.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished my microbacter 7 and I’m not buying more. The costs and time dosing does not justify the benefit (none).

I do not battle Dinos anymore. Now I just have residual cyano. I turned my skimmer on and I fed really heavy yesterday and got my nitrates to 8ppm and phosphates at .14ppm.

As I always suspected, nothing in a bottle can replace TIME which will cure all.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, would that be the phyto, or residual fertilizer, you think?
@AlgaeBarn

I've always dosed your OceanMagik strains for dinos, even though nitrates and phosphates are in check.

Is it your phyto strains or the fertilizers that grow your phyto with, do the job?

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished my microbacter 7 and I’m not buying more. The costs and time dosing does not justify the benefit (none).

I do not battle Dinos anymore. Now I just have residual cyano. I turned my skimmer on and I fed really heavy yesterday and got my nitrates to 8ppm and phosphates at .14ppm.

As I always suspected, nothing in a bottle can replace TIME which will cure all.

So you've been dosing this for what..a few days? No miraculous response eh? weird ;)

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It takes months 3-4 if you want to see results from products like MBclean and MB7. It also depends on what you're trying to do. Bacteria/carbon dosing isn't something you should get into if you're impatient.

Once it gets established though you can obtain years of stability and success. This goes for any good commercial bacterial system.

I'm only speaking for Acro dominated tanks.

If you want to see results of MB7 and vodka dosing search for Sonnys thread on ReefCentral or do some other searches on the net.

There's some good info here---

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes months 3-4 if you want to see results from products like MBclean and MB7. It also depends on what you're trying to do. Bacteria/carbon dosing isn't something you should get into if you're impatient.

3-4 months sounds too long to me to claim the MB7 is useful. Maybe the problems resolved for other reasons while you (or whoever saw a change in 3-4 months) waited 3-4 months. :)

Getnsalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your opinion on microbacter 7? A lot of people keep recommending this product for Dino’s and cyano. Does this actually have any effect on those organisms?

Slightly off topic: when people say dose phytoplankton to outcompete with Dinos/cyano, do they mean live or dead phyto? Is there actually a difference?

If I’m not mistaken, I don’t think phyto directly feeds/outcompetes with dinos etc. I think it feeds copepods which feed on Dino’s? But then, if copepods can feed off Dino’s then there wouldn’t be a purpose of dosing phyto?

Getnsalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. This is what I wanted to know! So MB7 CAN help! My goal was to shift the microbial population.
It's what I had used to outcompete it. Basically took over the cyano's real estate. That and only running my skimmer during the day. Had a long talk with Dr. Tim and the way he explained it to me was mechanical filtration is so superior these days that we don't let nature do it's work in the tank. We strip so much nutrients out of the water that it kills off the good bacteria so to say and leaves open real estate for the bad bacteria being dino's and cyano.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is a recent thread on Reef2Reef about dead /live phyto... Cheato or other Macro algaes would help outcompete Dino to my knowledge. I’ve never had Dino to a degree to where I even noticed. I believe using real LR where algae is already present helps fight off the ugly stages in newer tanks.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back