RandyO's 93 gallon Cube Tank Build

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sara,
How's things? Heading to MACNA this year?
Perfecto started by making the Marine Series Tanks that are all 36" wide. The smallest is a 36"x36"x27" cube tank. Those came out about a year ago. And now they have 18"x18" cubes, 24"x24" cubes, and the 30"x30" cube. I think they are all available in 18" height or 24" height.

Hey Randy, just noticed this. Yes, I'll be at MACNA this year ... hope to bump into you at the show!

OP
OP
RandyO

RandyO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RandyO

Can I fit a 40 breeder out the back of that stand? I was going to have a stand built by a friend, but he hurt his back.

With a little modification, yes you can. The back of the stand has an opening that is 19" wide. So a 40 breeder would fit under the stand, with about 8" sticking out the back. But there is a lip across the bottom of the stand. You would have to cut part of the lip out so the tank would sit on the bottom of the stand. But that's just minor surgery. I had to do some to my stand. It comes stock with the hole for the overflow box on the back left. But I was putting my tank in a corner with the right pane against the wall. So I wanted the overflow box to be in the back right corner. And since the tank is a perfect square, it fits on the stand either way. But I had to put an opening in top of the stand so the bulkheads and pipes could go down to the bottom. Just some minor adjustments.

OP
OP
RandyO

RandyO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple updated shots.

Front
8673_20090721024805.jpg

Side
8673_20090721024827.jpg

TCK Corals

Always 100% Aquacultured
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Randy i will be down soon to pick up some stuff. I been very busy lately working and running the online thing. Your fish store is my favorite still.:)

Henry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookin good Randy. Nice collection of lps ya got there!!!

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank Randy! I have a pair of maroons and a tomato clown in my 180 and they are fine so far! Love the cubes I think I need to invest in one!

MaLi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Randy !

Hi Randy,

I did order a 24" square with Premium Aquatics help. It will be here hopefully this week. I plan on building a custom made stand and sump. I will start a new thread for this.

I am impressed with the way your corals are coming up. Can you share the way you attached them to the Tonga branches ?

Thank you,
Marian

OP
OP
RandyO

RandyO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy,

Can you share the way you attached them to the Tonga branches ?

Thank you,
Marian

Hey Marian,
None of the corals are attached. Just strategically placed. I don't like to make things permanent. And for good reason. Last night I took every coral out of my tank, and then took all the rock out to rescape it. Figured I'd do a gravel cleaning while it was empty. I wasn't happy with the way it looked from the side, which is the view from my couch. I didn't realize that was the side it was going to be viewed from the most. So now it is aquascaped so it has two fronts, more like a wrap around look.

I'll bring my camera home tonight to take some pics.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool can't wait for pics. :)

MaLi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... thank you Randy.

I got the cube. Beautiful ! To my surprise even though is a 60g (24" cube) it came with a central drain on the back wall. I was expecting a corner one and ... surprise. Nothing to complain. It looks nice and I am almost done with the stand. i will post some pictures later.

Marian

OP
OP
RandyO

RandyO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats Marian.

I too was shocked to see a central overflow when a friend ordered a 60 cube, since it's advertised as a cornerflo. The overflow is so thin and space saving since the hole is on the back panel instead of on the bottom. We were worried it was going to make noise because of the 90 degree elbow on the back drain, but it is pretty quiet. Just don't use a huge return pump.

OP
OP
RandyO

RandyO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. Here's the updated shots, building the rock up on the overflow side, sloping down to the front and to the left.

Front
8673_20090815124904.jpg

Angled
8673_20090815124918.jpg

Side
8673_20090815124928.jpg

OP
OP
RandyO

RandyO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and here's a pic of my newest coral on the bottom left of the shot above.

Rainbow%20Wellso.jpg

MaLi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy your tank looks amazing !

Hi Randy,

I will finish painting the stand tomorrow and I will post some pictures. Can you tell me what pump your friend is using for the 3/4 return. I got today a Hydor Slitz L40 rated 740 gph, but I want to split the flow and direct 40-50 gph to my phosban reactor and UV sterilizer.
Seltz L40 All Purpose Pump 55W 740gph: Premium Aquatics

cheers,
Marian

PS. forgot to add. I will receive next week the lights. 250W, 15K MH + 2x65W actinic: http://shop.aquatraders.com/Odyssea-24in-Metal-Halide-with-Power-Compact-p/54201.htm

Last edited:
OP
OP
RandyO

RandyO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy,

I will finish painting the stand tomorrow and I will post some pictures. Can you tell me what pump your friend is using for the 3/4 return. I got today a Hydor Slitz L40 rated 740 gph, but I want to split the flow and direct 40-50 gph to my phosban reactor and UV sterilizer.
Seltz L40 All Purpose Pump 55W 740gph: Premium Aquatics

cheers,
Marian

PS. forgot to add. I will receive next week the lights. 250W, 15K MH + 2x65W actinic: Odyssea Metal Halide System

I believe he uses a Magdrive 7 from Supreme, and he also split the return to run his phosphate reactor. He had a Mag 9, but it was too much.

Good luck with the Odyssea. They don't have a great track record.

MaLi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Randy.

Yeah, I read split opinions about Odyssea, but for this price it is worth the shot. I am comfortable with electronics and if required I will act accordingly. The other fixtures run at least double the price.

Btw, here is my thread for a diy reef controller: reefprojects.com • View forum - Build Threads

cheers,
Marian

Mag 7 = 700 gph, same as Slitz L40

Last edited:
OP
OP
RandyO

RandyO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Randy.

Yeah, I read split opinions about Odyssea, but for this price it is worth the shot. I am comfortable with electronics and if required I will act accordingly. The other fixtures run at least double the price.

Btw, here is my thread for a diy reef controller: reefprojects.com • View forum - Build Threads

cheers,
Marian

Mag 7 = 700 gph, same as Slitz L40

I guess you do know your electronics. Cool thread. Thanks for the link.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back