Rapid progression of HLLE and fast breathing.

b0bburg3r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any one here have experience with HLLE. My sailfin has it . Water has been tested heavily so all is good there. I did run carbon for one day so I have been doing water changes to try to get that out. He is with only one other fish so it’s for sure not over crowded. Idk what to do. He is breathing super fast and hiding more, swimming weird, but still eats a lot. Feeding mysis and nori.

OP
OP
b0bburg3r

b0bburg3r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the blue light in advanced I’ll try to get a better video tonight if anyone needs it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sorry about the blue light in advanced I’ll try to get a better video tonight if anyone needs it.
I can just make out the HLLE. HLLE is often due to poor water quality (high ammonia-nitrate-ph) and diet . Remember, thee fish are herbivores and need fats in addition to vegetation in their diets. Good nutrition, clean water and low stress can help stop the erosion and sometimes allow it to fully heal heal .
Some recommended foods are :
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I cannot see the video - BUT - either way - HLLE does not cause rapid breathing. Though (I can't see ti) - Your tang might have HLLE - thats not the cause of his/her symptoms.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has minor HLLE, but that won't cause rapid breathing. The fish is breathing a bit too deeply, and is borderline fast - I counted about 150 gill beats per minute from the video and that is right on the line of being a problem.

How long have you had the fish? It could have a gill parasite. The other issue could be warm water, low oxygen or high carbon dioxide. Do you have a protein slimmer on the tank? Those help with gas exchange. If not, you might try adding an air stone and see if the breathing slows.

Jay

OP
OP
b0bburg3r

b0bburg3r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has minor HLLE, but that won't cause rapid breathing. The fish is breathing a bit too deeply, and is borderline fast - I counted about 150 gill beats per minute from the video and that is right on the line of being a problem.

How long have you had the fish? It could have a gill parasite. The other issue could be warm water, low oxygen or high carbon dioxide. Do you have a protein slimmer on the tank? Those help with gas exchange. If not, you might try adding an air stone and see if the breathing slows.

Jay
I’ll add the air stone. Will send the water test results when I get back from work but everything there should be good. I have had this fish for 2 weeks in that tank and 6 weeks in QT. Water is at 78 degrees and confirmed by three temp probs.

OP
OP
b0bburg3r

b0bburg3r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can just make out the HLLE. HLLE is often due to poor water quality (high ammonia-nitrate-ph) and diet . Remember, thee fish are herbivores and need fats in addition to vegetation in their diets. Good nutrition, clean water and low stress can help stop the erosion and sometimes allow it to fully heal heal .
Some recommended foods are :
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health
He is feed nori all day on a clip and gets mysis two times a day. What vitamins do you recommend?

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did run carbon for one day so I have been doing water changes to try to get that out.
Did the carbon spill into the tank somehow? What do you mean "to get it out". Not that I'm being helpful with a fix (sorry, tough diagnosis here) just trying to fig out what might have happened to cause

OP
OP
b0bburg3r

b0bburg3r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the carbon spill into the tank somehow? What do you mean "to get it out". Not that I'm being helpful with a fix (sorry, tough diagnosis here) just trying to fig out what might have happened to cause
No it was just a carbon pack for Innovative Marien. Bag was sealed when I tossed it. I rinsed the carbon for 10 minutes while agitating it with my hands. Then left it in rodi water and then rinsed it with a half gallon of rodi. I will note I left it on my counter when I took it out and there was black water under it next day…

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it was just a carbon pack for Innovative Marien. Bag was sealed when I tossed it. I rinsed the carbon for 10 minutes while agitating it with my hands. Then left it in rodi water and then rinsed it with a half gallon of rodi. I will note I left it on my counter when I took it out and there was black water under it next day…
Sounds like you definitely rinsed it enough. It's a little concerning the black water under it a whole day after being in the tank. Was it staying put in the tank or was it moving /tumbling?

OP
OP
b0bburg3r

b0bburg3r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not moving one but it was in the caddie that was designed for it by the tank and carbon manufacture.

OP
OP
b0bburg3r

b0bburg3r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you definitely rinsed it enough. It's a little concerning the black water under it a whole day after being in the tank. Was it staying put in the tank or was it moving /tumbling?
Not moving one but it was in the caddie that was designed for it by the tank and carbon manufacture.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly that amount of rinsing seems excessive. I'm no expert but a few minutes under the faucet til it's running clean should be all that's needed. Maybe so e experts can chime in here. Maybe you got a bad batch of carbon? :(

OP
OP
b0bburg3r

b0bburg3r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll let the experts' advice above stand on its own for advice there... I am not. Wish you the best of luck. Hopefully others will be able to avoid this. Keep us updated

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
He is feed nori all day on a clip and gets mysis two times a day. What vitamins do you recommend?
Selcon vitamins . . . . . . .
and the nori and mysis is simply not enough. I have 20 tangs and they get over 26 items during a given week.

Typical feeding time for them:

1665448377006.png

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back