0   0   0
GreenPolypLeather1.jpg
what is it? beauty!!!

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gary, cut me a frag of that! I had got a piece from Mike but it melted and Mike isn't in town anymore....

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a beauty where did you find/get it?
Thanks. It is an old picture of my old 75 gallon tank that I lost due to a long power outage, caused by Hurricane Rita in 2005. I do still have a small colony of it though. There is a bit of a story behind this coral. A local reefer stumbled across a small colony of it at a LFS. It grew to about the size of a basketball in his tank. Very hardy coral. So, just about all of the reefers where I live, either still have this, or at least had some of it in the past.

The reefer that originally bought it used to exchange corals with LeRoy at GARF. He sent a nice sized chunk of this to LeRoy and he was very excited when he saw it, because he had never seen it before. So my friend sent him even more of it as it grew. It may be all over the place by now, for all I know, but at the time, it was apparently a rare coral. We have always just called it a green polyped leather. Not sure we ever found out exactly what it really is. If someone knows, please chime in.

That pic was taken under metal halide lighting and old VHO tubes. It is a good representation of the color of the body and polyps. When it is happy, those green polyps really extend and it is a nice looking softie.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tsav87 - Travis, I have a small frag that you can have, but I will have to wait until it grows out some more before I do any more slicing and dicing. I think the colony I have was actually from a frag I got from Ian 10+ years ago. I lost some of it when my 140 was declining, but managed to save some of it in my nano. The bloodline continues. :)

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tsav87 - Travis, I have a small frag that you can have, but I will have to wait until it grows out some more before I do any more slicing and dicing. I think the colony I have was actually from a frag I got from Ian 10+ years ago. I lost some of it when my 140 was declining, but managed to save some of it in my nano. The bloodline continues. :)
I like small frags! I can go by this weekend if you'll be around, I'll send you a PM. Thanks!

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not really sure if this is considered rare but this is the only one I have seen like it. It's a later I guess a type of toadstoool

20180204_173706.jpg
That looks cool! Let's Make Softies Cool Again! :)

Rachael0059

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone has any frags of any of these corals to sell, please PM me, my tank is leathers only and I find it next to impossible to find a good online retailer and I dont have an LFS. Ready to purchase immediately! Also if anyone has recommendations for retailers online who have nice pieces that would be fantastic

DanConnor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone has any frags of any of these corals to sell, please PM me, my tank is leathers only and I find it next to impossible to find a good online retailer and I dont have an LFS. Ready to purchase immediately! Also if anyone has recommendations for retailers online who have nice pieces that would be fantastic

Where are you located?

Never ordered from them, but this place seems to have an interesting selection of softies
http://www.aquariumcreationsonline.net/softcoral.html

Also, Divers Den/live aquaria get some good stuff

Rachael0059

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you located?

Never ordered from them, but this place seems to have an interesting selection of softies
http://www.aquariumcreationsonline.net/softcoral.html

Also, Divers Den/live aquaria get some good stuff

Kentucky. I do have a lot of DD corals. But once you accumulate them there's not much of a variety beyond the few that they do get. Especially the rarer ones- they just don't carry them. I was actually going to order from ACO, but googled them and found hundreds of 1 star scammer reviews, similar to what you'd get on aquarium depot or reefs2go.

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • None.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back