rate my feeding method

MalteseOne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am nearing day 180 of adding fish to the tank, still battling phosphates, but when i travel, I trust employees to feed fish. so here is how we feed, please rate it on scale of 1-10 with 10 being perfect amount.
all parameters perfect, but phosphates, still going down at around 0.160ppm. it takes minutes (untimed) to feed them and they always want more or seem that way. no pinched bellies. 20210316_174611.jpg

5 damsels
2 medium clowns
4 medium tangs
1 giant brittle star (around 20inch if he stretches , tip to tip)

we feed 2 frozen cubes of random choice of brine shrimp, worm or mysis.

on occasion a half strip of nori.

all fish eat vigorously at the one time a day we feed (roughly in afternoon).

saturday or sunday is skipped on occasion.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am nearing day 180 of adding fish to the tank, still battling phosphates, but when i travel, I trust employees to feed fish. so here is how we feed, please rate it on scale of 1-10 with 10 being perfect amount.
all parameters perfect, but phosphates, still going down at around 0.160ppm. it takes minutes (untimed) to feed them and they always want more or seem that way. no pinched bellies. 20210316_174611.jpg

5 damsels
2 medium clowns
4 medium tangs

Sounds ok. You may want to skip the nori for a little bit, it has allot of phosphates in it.

Phosphates isn't really that far off of where you want to be, but you could be reading low if cyano is using it up as well.

What are your nitrates?

SenorCappuccino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had phosphate issues with using nori and considering you're a little high, i agree with the person above and cut it for a bit.

OP
OP
MalteseOne

MalteseOne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nitirite 0 to 0.5
nitrate varies between 5-10ppm

the phosphates are high from bringing from old rocks from last tank. i started at over 1.5ppm. yep 1.5.

also i did have a bad cyano outbreak, but chemclear and vacuuming has cleared it up from a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big believer of rinsing frozen food before feeding if you have nutrient problems. Of course, this isn't easy to do all the time especially if someone else is feeding. Instead, every 2 weeks or so I take out a large batch of frozen food, rinse it and then portion it with RODI water into silicone ice trays. I also have an IM frozen feeder (ring) so its easy for anyone to drop a cube or two into the ring. Much easier to feed quickly as well :)

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

5 damsels
2 medium clowns
4 medium tangs

Looks good, I feed about the same amount spread over 2 feedings. Also switched to 2lkttle fishes nori, which cut down on po4. I guess some use phosphates to process or preserve.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back