Rays Mega Reef

rayscoralreef

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 11, 2019
Messages
11
Reaction score
5
Location
Missouri Valley
What state or country do you live in
Iowa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started in saltwater about 5.5 years ago with a 10 gallon mini-reef or as some would put it a nanoreef. Since then I followed it with a 20 gallon then a 40, then a 55 and now I have finally taken the plunge into mega reefs with as 125.

My 125 display is on my main floor in the living room and my 110 gallon custom stock tank sump is plumbed downstairs in the basement. I have a 12x7 sump room as well as a 15 x 25 fishroom taken away from the storage room.

PXL_20210112_184756737.MP.jpg tuya_camera.jpg
 
So here's an update for the tank. 125 display has now had a complete crash. I lost over 10k is softies and $800-$900 in fish in a matter of 3-4 days. I let the tank set for nearly 2 months hoping that maintenance might bring things back into balance. We'll that didn't work. I ended up with 50 nitrates, 0 nitrites, 2.0 ammonia, 2275 magnesium and 640 calcium just to name a few.

I took some of the rocks out to spray they off with filtered water and am now entering the "ugly" phase again.

My survivors are 2 tomato clowns, 2 saltwater mollies, 4 pajama cardinals, and a black lightning clown.

We added a 50 gallon lowboy Rubbermaid trough to the system as a coral grow out before the crash (I think this significantly added to the crash problem), right now this is where the majority of the fish are located.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new