RBTA Basket Farm

Zylski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im working on growing and splitting anemones in a basket farm for now. I started with 1 a year ago. Then they split 6 months later and after 3 months split again. I started the basket after that and now in around 4 months time I went from 2 to seven. And have since added a green BTA too. There arnt 7 in this picture they have split since the picture.
P1060774.jpg

a pic of one splitting.
P1060768.jpg
[/

OP
OP
Z

Zylski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RBTAs naturally split faster than GBTAs. I feed mine everyother day to get them to grow really fast. Then when they get to the right size I do a water change in the tank and then move all of them which induces the splitting.

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You move them to a new spot in the tank or to a new tank? From what i understand they split when stressed which im assuming is caused by the move and water change...

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that's awesome!
I am going to be doing a small tank for BTA's soon as well. Any tips?

OP
OP
Z

Zylski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just move them around in the basket. They do split due to stress, but it takes very little stress to do it when you feed them so often. At least thats what im finding.

OP
OP
Z

Zylski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that's awesome!
I am going to be doing a small tank for BTA's soon as well. Any tips?
I say try to start with one or two strains right now. See how it goes. All of my red are from 1 strain and ive had 10. 1 green strain. And I have just started farming mini carpet anemones too. Im going to start trying to find other strains soon.

mlove

Reefing Peasant
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is the basket just attached at the top of your tank under some halides? Nice anemones by the way.

OP
OP
Z

Zylski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres the fts the tank is a 29 gallon. The basket is about a foot long and is attached using a magnet and a zip tie to eggcrate. The lights are 1 250W MH.
DSC_0060.jpg

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i havent had my rbta for a month i got from jgonzz of gonzo coral frags and it already split now i have 2 babies. lol

OP
OP
Z

Zylski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed alot and then water change and remove there foot and move them. Key is feeding I think.

RacingTiger03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the moving is the key. I've had a RBTA for 5 months that hasn't split yet. Its been fed every other day except the last month since I lost all of my fish. It has even changed tanks! But I left it on the same rock.. Fully opened it is 1' across. Still no signs of splitting lol. Congrats on the succesfull splits and farming!

Pellaeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, congratulations. My RBTA is absolutely huge, certainly for the tank its in (about 6-8" radius) so you can imagine with tentacles and all how much space that takes. It has developed a 2nd mouth but the darn thing will not split. Looks like I might try your method. Do you use ice or something to encourage them to move or release ?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back