RBTA dying?

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pics are from yesterday evening, this afternoon and then tonight. Anemone went into the tank Sunday and looked good until the first pic.

In the aquarium are hermit crabs, Halloween crab, snails, foxface, 2 clowns, cleaner wrasse, mandrin, Banggai, 2 cleaner shrimp.

What is happening to this poor anemone?

E518C224-29BC-4BA6-960F-9771C03BF233.jpeg 4017FFCD-4E6C-457C-B3AB-4F53E63D6BF1.jpeg C3F1B3CB-3E9E-4927-A2FF-A058350A3564.jpeg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has your tank been set up for? What kind of lights do you have? Started with dry rock or live? Parameters?

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA's do this from time to time, especially when introduced into a new environment. It will likely reinflate within a day. If it does it continually and the mouth begins to gape i would be more concerned. I remember when my very first BTA did this, i about freaked out thinking it was dying haha

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA's do this from time to time, especially when introduced into a new environment. It will likely reinflate within a day. If it does it continually and the mouth begins to gape i would be more concerned. I remember when my very first BTA did this, i about freaked out thinking it was dying haha
The white in the center of the nem is alarming

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white in the center of the nem is alarming
Actually its not at this point. I own a plethera of btas and have for quite awhile. They do this from time to time and seeing its been in his tank for 3 days im not suprised or alarmed by it.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually its not at this point. I own a plethera of btas and have for quite awhile. They do this from time to time and seeing its been in his tank for 3 days im not suprised or alarmed by it.
Yours do that too? I guess I should be asking for your parameters...

Healthy happy nems don't do that.

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours do that too? I guess I should be asking for your parameters...

Healthy happy nems don't do that.
lol okay ;) guess a lil experience doesnt count for much these days.

I didnt say they do this all the time, they shouldn't. but they do from time to time. Especially when introduced into a new environment, such is the case with the OP. if it does this for several days in a row....inflating some, then deflating again i would be worried.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies. Tank has been running for a few years and I haven’t done any testing recently. Everyone else in there looks good. I have 2 165 watt black box lights.
I should have pointed out the black dot on the nem. It almost looks like something took a bite out of it. It happened after the lights came on both days. Lights are off now but the nem is bigger right now. Well the Center is bigger but the tentacles are pretty small/short/shriveled.

OP
OP
H

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here it is after the lights have been on for about 5 hours.

Can you see all the black stuff? Please help. I feel like I’m sitting around watching this poor thing die!!

91A3DCAE-726D-4086-A561-29F792E3A245.jpeg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wouldn't hurt to test your water. You said black boxes, those can be very powerful, what are they set at? It looks a bit bleached in the pic where it's doing well. It may have been sick when you got it (from shipping?) and just need time to recover.

All you can really do is give it great water quality and leave it alone. Don't try moving it or anything like that. It's holding onto the rock well?

OP
OP
H

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lowered the intensity on the side where the nem is. I have 2 165 w lights on a 90 g tank. Should I turn this side off for a few days?

I bought this from a local and it looked pretty good when I picked it up. Short car ride home.
I’ll get the water tested as soon as I can.
I haven’t and won’t move or touch it. It was well attached to the rock yesterday and it’s moved a bit since. I can’t really see how it’s attached right now but I’ll monitor it. It’s looking a tiny bit better again.

Thank you for the guidance and reassurance!

image.jpg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's expelling zoos to accommodate the intense new lighting. Def turn them down and slowly ramp back up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.3%
Back