RBTA not doing too hot, advice needed!

samb5590

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an RBTA that I’ve had for about 4 months now. After upgrading tanks(30g cube up to a 75g) it split (stress?) and has been hiding in a cave for about a month.
I used the same rock, sand and filter/media for my larger tank.

I recently turned my light down from peaking at 40% white 100% blue to 20% white and 40% blue. (nicrew 150w) after reading they’re can be extremely strong. Today is his second day out of the cave so that IS a positive thing! (The other half is still hiding, looks the same). I have been battling red Cyano, and have Cipro on the way for if my RBTA is dealing with a bacterial infection (along with some bio booster to add after I treat cipro).

My parameters are:
Salinity: 1.026
dKH: 8
pH: 7.9-8.0
Nitrite: 0ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5-10ppm
Phosphate: 0-.25ppm

My pH is low but I am dosing to raise it, and it normally sits closer to 8.2-8.3.

Everything else in my tank is doing pretty well. I have a Duncan that has opened up and been accepting food the last two weeks, a plating monti, a ricordea and Xenia that have doubled in size the last 3 weeks, two clowns, a purple dottyback, an eiblii angel, along with a solid cuc.

BASICALLY am I on the right track in thinking my anemone has a bacterial infection? Potentially caused from it splitting? Any and all help would be amazing, doing everything I can to bring him back!

Attachments

• IMG_0560.mov
    18.4 MB

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the lighting is your issue, but nems are wierd.

I would stop bumping parameters, stability is better. Your pH is fine, stop with the additives.
A water change never hurts.

And if you are feeding the nem I would stop that, let it open up to feed on the light.

Do the clowns swim in it? Getting them to nest in the nem is it's best chance for survival.

Is is sick from splitting, I doubt it but clearly it is stressed. If they are, cipro may help save them.

GL.

OP
OP
S

samb5590

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the lighting is your issue, but nems are wierd.

I would stop bumping parameters, stability is better. Your pH is fine, stop with the additives.
A water change never hurts.

And if you are feeding the nem I would stop that, let it open up to feed on the light.

Do the clowns swim in it? Getting them to nest in the nem is it's best chance for survival.

Is is sick from splitting, I doubt it but clearly it is stressed. If they are, cipro may help save them.

GL.
The clowns host them and absolutely love them. That’s part of why I am really hoping they’re savable.

I just did a water change a few days ago, since I’m dealing with cyano as well.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns host them and absolutely love them. That’s part of why I am really hoping they’re savable.

I just did a water change a few days ago, since I’m dealing with cyano as well.
I'm distracted, so my answer, you covered perfectly. We gotta get rid of the cyano situation, imo, to reduce stress on the nems. And you need a par meter to tune the lights, idealy.

OP
OP
S

samb5590

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm distracted, so my answer, you covered perfectly. We gotta get rid of the cyano situation, imo, to reduce stress on the nems. And you need a par meter to tune the lights, idealy.
I am doing what I can to get rid of it. Manually removing as much of it as I can at night & dosing beneficial bacteria. I have some chemi clean as a last resort but don’t wanna treat it if it’s not absolutely necessary.

I am running off a pretty tight budget so a par meter is a future purchase I’ve been looking into. — I wanna get that an a bigger/better skimmer (my current one is rated for like… 60g so it’s too small).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back